getting started

Started by
17 comments, last by meshounah 16 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I would like to get started in game development. My question is what is the best game engine that is good to learn from only requirement is that it is free. C++ is my preferred language Thank you
Advertisement
Starting off with an engine probably isn't the best place for an absolute beginner to learn, you'll need to spend some time working with your chosen language (probably with simply console (i.e. text-based) programs so you aren't overwhelmed by the complexity of whatever engine you choose to work with.

As for engines you could use however I would recommend Haaf's Game Engine or The PopCap Framework. Both are freely available 2d engines you can use with C++.

- Jason Astle-Adams

ok i'll try those (i'm past the console apps stage)
From what you said I'm presuming that you come from the "normal programming" side of the fence, right? One thing about game programming that you will notice right away is that what seem to be very small problems to solve (programs to write) become hugely complex and hard to manage in a matter of hours. I wouldn't suggest starting game development with HGE (haven't tried PopCap) until you know the ins-and-outs of C++.

This all might be right off the mark and I'm not presuming to know more than you or anything, just a heads up if you weren't already aware. (HGE is VERY good though... if you know C++, unlike me :)
Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site
thanks you the heads-up... i'll dabble with it and see how far i can go
Good luck to you. I hope you do far better than me :)
Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site
I would also recommend SDL, although it isn't a game engine it is a nice 2D gfx library you can use to build games.

According to your posts it looks like you know how to do console, but beware, using an engine isn't easy either. So I would also look into the WIN32 API (seeing that you are not using C# and I presume you are developing for windows), just to be able to create a simple window (for most games programming that is all that is needed) and how the windows messaging system works.

Good luck and have fun.
Try, try and fucking try again.
is there any 100% free engines(i don't want to buy a license)
There's plenty of good 2D engines, just search for what you're looking for and I'm sure you'll find it. As for libraries, I like using Allegro and SDL. Allegro is more focused on 2D and some basic 3D, but SDL is a little more than one should try to take on at first. Good luck and hopefully you're as determined as the rest of us. Stay dedicated and you'll eventually make it!
Quote:Of course justice isn't equal. Rich people can afford lawyers, where poor people get McLawyers.
how hard would it be to create my own simple 2d tile engine?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement