WiiMote as input device

Started by
7 comments, last by _mark_ 16 years, 7 months ago
Hey, I am currently creating a game with some friends and we are planning to release it as a shareware/commercial game. Except for the usual mouse and keyboard input controllers we were discussing supporting the input from a WiiMote. The player would offcourse need to buy himself a WiiMote and bluetooth receiver. We were wondering if it would be legal to officialy support the WiiMote as an input device? Did nintendo make any statements about this? Thanks in advance and kind regards, quinnie
Advertisement
i would not risk it... the dmca might get you
Quote:Original post by Quinnie
Hey,

I am currently creating a game with some friends and we are planning to release it as a shareware/commercial game. ...
We were wondering if it would be legal to officialy support the WiiMote as an input device?

It depends, "Quinnie."
Shareware is one thing.
Commercial is a different thing.
Which is it? You need to be clear about this, when you discuss this with your lawyer.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Oh. I forgot to add:

"Hey."

It'll be a game that everyone is allowed to play, however extra features or bonusses can be added by paying for them. It will not be for sale in stores but it will be available for download on our website.
It'll be a game that everyone is allowed to play, however extra features or bonusses can be added by paying for them. It will not be for sale in stores but it will be available for download on our website.

OK, and the WiiMote support is accomplished how, exactly? You said players would need to purchase a WiiMote and Bluetooth receiver. They could just buy these anywhere - not from you? And then your game is playable?
What if someone doesn't want to buy the WiiMote and Bluetooth, would your game still work?

Yes, offcourse... it is just ment as an extra possibility besides the keyboard and mouse...

The wiimote and bluetooth receiver can be bought anywhere, we won't be selling those... I don't expect anyone to use this possibility if they don't already own a wiimote since it wouldn't be worth the 40 euro to buy a wiimote if you only use it for our game...
Yes, offcourse... it is just ment as an extra possibility besides the keyboard and mouse......

I don't see a legal issue with your permitting the use of the device as an optional peripheral. But I'm not a lawyer.

Quote:Original post by meshounah
i would not risk it... the dmca might get you
Note that the OP seems to be from the Netherlands, where there are thankfully no such silly laws.

Though having said that, the US seems happy to apply to DMCA to other countries, so is probably worth worrying about if he ever plans to set foot in the US ;)

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement