Supporting resolutions

Started by
13 comments, last by LackOfKnack 24 years, 4 months ago
Hmm i dont know,for a 2d game your generaly gonna use pageflipping and a backbuffer so lets see at 1024x786x16 reguires 1,572,864bytes timesthat by 2 for the backbuffer ,and you get around 3.2mb of video memory required just for the front,and back buffer.Which won't fit in a 2mb card so your looking atleast a 4mb card. Now if you go 800x600x16 its 960,000bytes which a 2mb card can handle(for a front and backbuffer + a little for gfx). 640x480 is even better hehe.

Also not all comps have 4mb cards my comp is well i guess bout 2years old it was a p166mmx,32mb edo ram, and a built in on the mother board 2mb video card.(this was from packard bell at the time.) Nowadays ive upgraded the card to a hercules vodoo rush 6mb card.(old but fairly effective,however it only provides 4mb for 2d.)Anyways my point is that not every comp is the latest,and best. Thats really true in USA where it really began everyone having a comp in there house(which means alot of older comps.).

Please forgive me on my spelling/grammer ,ive had about 2 hours of sleep and 4liters of caffine floating around in me.

Advertisement
Yeah, I know it's not mostly dependent on the CPU, I was just kind of giving a ballpark computer age. The P90 I was talking about has a 1 meg Cirrus video card, I should've said.

It seems we're still divided. I plan to target Mainstream/older computers, with a ~two year completion.

For a 2D game, not too fancy, mainstream computers in two years, is 1024 too high? Too low? Should I support a wide range of resolutions? If I were to say, support 800x600 through 1600x1200, how would be the best way to go about that? Have 2 texture sizes? 4? More? Also, what bit depth do you think is good? I dispise 8, but is 16, 24 or 32 the most reasonable? Should I support all three?

Thanks.

------------------

Lack

Lack
Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Just wondering what you guys thought: Is supporting only one resolution a good idea? If it is, is 1024x768 reasonable? Thanks.

------------------

Lack

Lack
Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
I would say you could get away with 1024 most computers today. 800x600 can give you better color depth and adding additional colors to a picture is usually more effective than the same increase in resolution. The brain tends to make up for the resolution part of the equation as it looks at the various colors. Your target audience usually will only have a 15" monitor to go with that computer so 1024 might be too small for them to use. All in all if you go with 1024 then you will play to the higher end of the group you're targeting. If you use 800x600 you will hit that group squarely in the chest.

Of course this is just my opinion.
Kressilac

ps Someone else is going to have to answer the texture questions cause I am not sure of the answer myself.

Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
there is virtually NO DIFFERENCE between 800x600 and 1024x768 in games even on a 17" monitor. except that 1024x768 will be QUITE slower in non-accelerated graphics. I would even go as far as saying 640x480 on a 15" looks pretty damn good for a 3d game.

Try running duke3d in 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 (and if you''re nuts, 1280x1024 and 1600x1200). Tell me if you can honestly tell the difference. anything more than 800x600 is overkill for games. it''s mostly for bragging rights "i run at a higher res than you".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement