DirectX DLL missing

Started by
3 comments, last by mrThirsty 16 years, 7 months ago
I have setup a basic D3D window. the project compiles fine with no warnings either. When I try to run the application, I get a windows popup that says the d3d10.dll is missing, and I must re-install to fix the problem.. I have removed and installed the SDK three times now and I still get the popup... does anyone know what I need to do to get it to either work or install properly.
Advertisement
You are running on Vista, right? DX10 can only be run on Vista. The DLL probably won't load on XP or below, so Windows will say it can't find it.

Alternatively, if you are running Vista, try copying the DLL to the same directory as your project and see if that helps (But just for now, as a test!)
Nope, I am running XP... I was not aware that DirectX 10 doesn't work on XP.
Unfortunately, even the reference device requires Vista because of the new driver model. To do anything at a reasonable speed (As in frames per second instead of seconds per frame), you need a DirectX 10 card (GeForce 8 or ATI equivalent), there's no fallback support for older cards.
I do have a DX10 nvidia card so not a problem on the hardware side, but I do not have Vista and it costs a couple of grand in this country so I guess DX10 programming is out for me in the fore see-able future. Thanks for your help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement