DX SDK for Windows 2000

Started by
2 comments, last by legalize 16 years, 7 months ago
Hi there, I'm starting a 3D Game Program course (what an elective!). We need to install a DX SDK in order to code our game. My computer (a laptop) is currently running Windows 2000 with Visual Studios (.Net) 2003. After reading through the DX SDK install docs, it seems that the latest DX9 releases need Windows XP. W2K hasn't been a "supported platform" since Dec 2005. So, can I download an older version of the SDK, and run it on my computer? Or will the DX9 sdk work, and Microsoft is just lying? =) Installing XP isn't an option, since the laptop is a PIII 550. XP would kill it, and I can't afford to buy a new laptop right now. Thanks for your advice!
Advertisement
AS far as I know, most OS issues are to do with the set up process, and not the actual SDK (well, maybe the samples).

If you want to use the SDK, you can decompress it (that's the first step of the setup) and then just manually copy the include and lib directories, and use those. Also, be sure to grab the documentation.

You'll need to set up the VS directories manually, but that's no big issue.

Be sure you have the latest runtime installed, or you'll be unable to run your own applications.

Hope this helps.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
Thanks, I'll try that out when I get home.
The last SDK that is listed as supported on Windows 2000 is this one:

DirectX 9.0 SDK Update - (December 2004)

Quote:Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows 2000 Advanced Server; Windows 2000 Professional Edition ; Windows 2000 Server; Windows 2000 Service Pack 2; Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows XP; Windows XP 64-bit; Windows XP Home Edition ; Windows XP Media Center Edition; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

I found this by searching the DirectX download area for "SDK" and then sorting the results by release date.

My free book on Direct3D: "The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline"
My blog on programming, vintage computing, music, politics, etc.: Legalize Adulthood!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement