Direct3D or OpenGL looking at my PC specs?

Started by
5 comments, last by eedok 16 years, 6 months ago
Hi, this isn't a post of which do you think I should learn D3D, or OpenGL since I'm gonna learn both. Not at all. This is simply just a post on asking the pro's which would be easier on my computer, and would actually get me somewhere with the API. My computer is a Gateway M320 laptop and the specs are CPU: Intel Celeron 1.40GHZ Memory: 256MB DDR Video Card: I don't know, but it only supports 32MB of video memory 60GB HD and I have about a year experience of java and C++. I casually make games in Allegro, and SDL and I've decided it's time to learn some 3D Stuff. And I would like to learn an API that I won't have any problems with or have to download this file because this file isn't supported anymore or vise versa. Also, I use Visual C++ Orcas Beta Release 2 and I've had no problems with it so far. Thanks,
Advertisement
the graphics chip is going to execute the same instructions in the end.....so it doesn't matter which graphics API you use.

but it is a fact that DirectX users are less smart than OpenGL users. just fyi.
hehehe
And so I shall start my adventure in OpenGL.
Interestingly, there are only two factors into which API you should use that are determined by your computer ... and you didn't give them:

1. Which Video Card Chip your video card uses. VERY IMPORTANT (some video cards have great OpenGL, some great Direct3D, newer ones do both well of course - but many older ones didn't - and your computer sounds OLD OLD OLD)!

2. Which OS you use, and plan to target. Obviously for cross platform (except XBOX 360), only OpenGL will do. But ignoring that, some OSes are better than others at various versions of the SDKs. I would use either equally on Windows XP or newer OSes (or DirectX 10 if targeting just Vista and XBOX 360 really), I would use OpenGL is on Windows 2000, and I would realize that newer DirectX's are less well supported on Windows 98 and older.

From what I know (which isn't a lot in 3D), learning beginner OpenGL USED to be a lot easier than beginner DirectX, and helped my basic understanding I feel. Now the DirectX utilities are helpful in getting some useful stuff done quickly. So I mess with both, to play and learn.
Well first to answer to the post above I was assuming me having a Gateway I was using Windows XP even though I know people like myself though I haven't done it for awhile will get on old computer, or new toss out XP, or have no OS installed on it, and install some distribution of linux.

The second answer about my video card I think i mentioned it was just an Intel built-in video card with 32MB of RAM

And Finally I have decided to use OpenGL and went to this website

http://www.berkelium.com/OpenGL/sgi-download.html

to download and hopefully install OpenGL 2.0 correctly.

At the point where it is asking where the directory of the OpenGL sdk is do I put it at the default that it gives me or throw it in my VC folder in my Visual Studio 9 Folder?

I just want to install OpenGL 2.0 correctly, so I can start coding tonight.

Thanks,
Quote:Original post by tuphdc
but it is a fact that DirectX users are less smart than OpenGL users. just fyi.

lol nice fact, especially with no bearing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement