My schooling options?

Started by
2 comments, last by Glak 16 years, 6 months ago
Hello there, We all have our own preferance; We either like artist stuff or programmer stuff. I, myself, am a programmer. At least that's what I want to become. For the time being: I am still at the MBO, and I still have 3 and a half year to go. Note before reading: MBO = middle profession training HBO = higher profession training In Holland, we have only one real game programming school. Actually it is a mix of arts and programming, but you can choose which way to go in the second year, so you can still develop yourself as a game programmer. So I was wondering, are there any HBO's or University's in the area? So like, somewhere in the Europe? Preferrably closest to Holland. I want to have max chance to find a school where I can learn game programming. I got some questions for if there are no schools in the area of Holland, though they may be answerred if there are schools in the area too: 1. In the US, is it possible to go from a (Dutch) MBO to an (American) university, or can you (just like in Holland) only go from a MBO to a HBO? If so, are there any bad sides to it? If I would want to do HBO and then university, it would still take me like 11 years. I don't want to study for that long! I want to start working in the real business. :) 2a. If your answer to question one was no: Are there any HBO's in the USA that teach game programming? If yes, could you tell me which are the best, and give me some links? I would really like to know which are the best, because I want to be optimally training before I leave high school and start in the industry. If you would like to do that, that would be great! :) 2b. If your answer to question one was yes: Great! could you tell me which are the best universitys there, and give me some links? I would really like to know which are the best, because I want to be optimally training before I leave high school and start in the industry. If you would like to do that, that would be great! :) Sorry that I typed 2 times the same sentences above, but I wanted the same, so I thought; "why change my text then?" :D I got some questions about the Game Institute too: Is the Game Institute a good place to start learning C++ ? The credits that you get for the game institute, do they increase your chances on a good college in the US? Thanks a lot in advance for your replies! Marlon.
Advertisement
You should avoid game programming schools. Get a degree in Computer Science. It is worth more. I believe that Digipen (in Washington, USA) is the exception and would probably be worth going to.
The thing is that I don't want to focus myself on computer science, I don't really care that much for computers, although I do that education at the moment. I do like computers, but for me, programming goes above everything, that is why I choosen this education. I really don't want to study for computer science, I really prefer doing a programming education (preferrably C++ and any other language in which you can program games).

Anyone got any other suggestions? Read my first post in this topic for more information.
Computer science doesn't have much to do with computers. It is definitely not IT (configuring and troubleshooting computers). Computer Science is the degree that you get if you want to be a programmer. If the degree has some title other than Computer Science then you should probably be concerned, as it may be an IT or IT/CS hybrid degree. If you are considering a school post a link to its curriculum here and ask about its quality.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement