A cross-platform C++ systems library for game development

Started by
16 comments, last by choffstein 16 years, 6 months ago
I've written a cross-platform C++ library that works on Linux/UNIX, Mac, and Windows...it provides abstractions for threads, mutexes, sockets, buffers, streams, loadable modules, and lots of other stuff. It was originally designed to be a framework specifically for building an MMO game engine, though now I use it quite a bit for unrelated projects at work. Check it out at http://freshmeat.net/projects/commoncpp/ This project has nothing to do with the "GNU Common C++" project...this library provides a much richer set of classes. Cheers, M.
Advertisement
Do you have a description of the benefits that these classes have over, for example, Boost equivalents?
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
Do you have a description of the benefits that these classes have over, for example, Boost equivalents?

If I may add my 2 cents, boost isn't the end to C++ programming. It provides neccessary additions and improvements to the STL, but it's still low level stuff.

A lot of (commercial) libraries use neither STL nor boost, Qt for example.
Of course, but it's still a valid question for the parts that do overlap with Boost.
After a quick look, I would have to say that it's "cleaner-looking" (superficial, I know) than boost. Ultimately, performance considerations would trump anything, but I, for one, am sick of ugly C++ naming conventions and heavy use of templates.

I've wondered many times why someone didn't write a C++ equivilent of the JDK, or something like that--of course, I never looked, thinking that I surely would have heard of it--but yours looks nice.
mesmerism,

I'm looking at the API documentation snapshot and I have to say that I'm very impressed! Does this really work on all the mentioned platforms? I'm very interested in the MD5 and Timer functionality.
Thanks, Eddy
Quote:Original post by smitty1276
After a quick look, I would have to say that it's "cleaner-looking" (superficial, I know) than boost. Ultimately, performance considerations would trump anything, but I, for one, am sick of ugly C++ naming conventions and heavy use of templates.

I've wondered many times why someone didn't write a C++ equivilent of the JDK, or something like that--of course, I never looked, thinking that I surely would have heard of it--but yours looks nice.

I am thinking about a new Front End for C++, one that allows you to use template magic etc. in a more accessible way. Would make even boost fun.

Or just a new (or heavily extended) preprocessor.
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
Of course, but it's still a valid question for the parts that do overlap with Boost.

Coherence?
Quote:Original post by Paradoxia
mesmerism,

I'm looking at the API documentation snapshot and I have to say that I'm very impressed! Does this really work on all the mentioned platforms? I'm very interested in the MD5 and Timer functionality.

The canonical MD5 code is platform agnostic and free - no need to wait for an encapsulation [smile].

Anyway, I had to congratulate mesmerism: its seems to be a great library, with a lot of features (Base64 encoding! Sockets! XML! JNI! Persistence!). Getting everything to a workable state must have been quite long.

I would say only one thing: putting everything in one single namespace is not a good idea (not to mention that the namespace name is not that great: it's a bit too long. What about ccpp?). I would have prefered to see multiple sub-namespaces: jni, thread, xml, db, and so on...).

But still: good work, mesmerism. And r++.
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
I would say only one thing: putting everything in one single namespace is not a good idea (not to mention that the namespace name is not that great: it's a bit too long. What about ccpp?). I would have prefered to see multiple sub-namespaces: jni, thread, xml, db, and so on...).

But still: good work, mesmerism. And r++.

I second that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement