C# / XNA game engines

Started by
9 comments, last by bronxbomber92 16 years, 6 months ago
Hey guys, A team of students and myself have settled on a final project for a design course. We are making a simple-ish 3D game using C# and XNA for possible porting to XBox360 (given enough time before the due date). One burning question we have for this community is: have there been any free 3d game engines/physics engines/sound engines/etc released for XNA? Which ones would you recommend, and why? PC-only engines are completely fine, because having a finished product on PC is WAY more important than porting to the 360. Thank you so much in advance for your input. [Edited by - BTownTKD on April 23, 2009 9:34:53 AM]
Deep Blue Wave - Brian's Dev Blog.
Advertisement
Check this out:

http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque/x/

You can try it free for 30 days.
Quote:Original post by rik_GT
Check this out:

http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque/x/

You can try it free for 30 days.

Also, if you have an XNA Creators Club subscription, it's free. However, I thought TorqueX was entirely 2D? I haven't used it yet, though.
Thats not bad - it does appear to be 2D-only, though... I'm looking for something 3D. And being able to get access to source code would be fantastic, too ;)

All-encompassing engines are nice, but not the only answer. Are there any engines for C# (and XNA, but just C# would be fine too) that specialize in one area, like just sound, or just ragdoll physics, or just XNA UI components...?

[Edited by - BTownTKD on April 23, 2009 9:36:34 AM]
Deep Blue Wave - Brian's Dev Blog.
BulletX is the only xna-capable (read: written entirely in c#) physics engine that I know of - it's a port of the bullet physics engine.

And sound is already handled in XNA - there's no real need for a sound "engine"
Ive been poking around looking for something similar just to learn how the game structure / program flow is. (Im having a horrid time deciding on how to implement a state handler)

Found nothing online yet, BUT there is a project that comes with XNA, some asteroid clone called spacewar, that you can use the code / models / sounds from. (It explicitly says you can use them free of charge.) It covers alot of ground too, input, state management, 3D model loading, collisions, etc...

Maybe you could mod that enough to qualify as a new game.
As XNA is sort of new the amount of decent 3D engines is fairly limited. However if you go on codeplex.com and search XNA there is many pages of XNA engines and components developed by individuals and small studios. Remember as you go through the pages the quality of the project goes down, as - by default - the search results are filtered by popularity.

From a very quick look i can see many decent libraries.
There's:

A 3D engine called Attollo
A Quickstart 3D engine, although it's still in the prototyping phase
A post processing library
An animation library

These are only just a few of them, so keep on looking :)
I hope you found this useful.
You should check www.thehazymind.com it has a good series of xna engine development tutorials.
Quote:Original post by ididntdoit
(Im having a horrid time deciding on how to implement a state handler)

I'm having a similar problem. I seem to be finding it slightly difficult to see what's been implemented in XNA already, and how they are expecting us to implement our own things. I have something that works now, but it will most likely change.
For those having trouble with implementing state: there's a design patter specifically designed for that:

http://www.dofactory.com/Patterns/PatternState.aspx

(and it's all in c#)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement