• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Quat

DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM

This topic is 2651 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was using D3DXCOLOR for my color member of my vertex format, but decided to try a 32-bit color. So I specified DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM in the input description, and used a DWORD for the color member in the vertex structure. However, the colors were off compared to when I was using D3DXCOLOR before. After some time, I found out I could not use the format: ARGB (which was used in d3d9). Instead, I had to use ABGR. Can somebody explain this? From the format DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM, I would have thought I actually needed to use the format RGBA. But for some reason I have to use the reverse.

Advertisement
Direct3D 10 defines it’s formats in the order of the color channels in the memory.

D3DXCOLOR generates a DWORD. If you save this dword to the memory it got swizzle because x86 CPUs use little endian. That’s the reason why the D3D 9 macro works incorrect for D3D10.

Direct3D 10 defines it’s formats in the order of the color channels in the memory.

D3DXCOLOR generates a DWORD. If you save this dword to the memory it got swizzle because x86 CPUs use little endian. That’s the reason why the D3D 9 macro works incorrect for D3D10.

So if I have this kind of function:

UINT ARGB2ABGR(UINT argb)

{

BYTE A = (argb >> 24) & 0xff;

BYTE R = (argb >> 16) & 0xff;

BYTE G = (argb >> 8) & 0xff;

BYTE B = (argb >> 0) & 0xff;

return (A << 24) | (B << 16) | (G << 8) | (R << 0);

}

In Big Endian the returned color byte order is the way we would write it in english: ABGR,
but in little endian, the byte order is actually stored in memory as: RGBA?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!