HowTo Develop for PS3

Started by
16 comments, last by Dancin_Fool 16 years, 5 months ago
Hehe...

At the very beginning you've mentioned that you "got one". What doest it mean?

Here is the first step: you want to make a game in PS3...

I assume you've already got some skills in OpenGL, and GL shader.

1. Buy a SDK (including the hardware) for 10K US (price drops to 10K only recently and It was originally 20K)
2. Read through the first party compliance stuff. Which is total bullshit and you have to comply otherwise Sony won't publish your game (not even for free).
3. Setup the SDK in Visual Studio.
4. Learn about PSGL on the go, which is a embedded OpenGL library used specifically on PS3, which also sucks major ass.
5. Spend a few handred bucks on Blu-ray writer
6. Spend another 40k for submission.

Then finally we can play your game...

It sucks right?

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by sanman
Why have these limitations/arrangements been created?

Why not just let developers develop as they please to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983

Thats why.
;p
Quote:Original post by sanman
Why have these limitations/arrangements been created?

Why not just let developers develop as they please to?

It's so Sony can keep a certain level of quality to their games. There are mounds and mounds and mounds of crap for the PC. The video game crash is an example of what happened to Atari when everybody was making games for it. Honestly I'm all for the high price point to really get into 360/PS3 developement. Makes sure the company is serious about making a game and not just some random PC drivel.

--------Ratings - Serious internet buisness
Quote:Original post by Promit
You can't, unless you're willing to settle for the crippled linux environment that offers no access to the GPU or any of the SPUs.

You get access to 6 of the 8 SPEs, but no (known) access to the GPU. Last i read nobody is certain exactly how much GPU access is restricted- there's no documentation from Sony on it. But even if access wasn't restricted, that complete lack of documentation means absolutely no drivers at this point.
The last access to the GPU doesn't completely put a stopper on things.

There's a feature at http://gametomorrow.com/blog/index.php/2007/03/07/cell-power-at-gdc-2007/ that shows something rendered in real-time entirely on the CPU. If they can do that I'm sure Tetris will be possible.
APE
About the video game crash being the cause for restricting access to development kits: I don't think that's the main issue. According to the wikipedia article (whose quality does not go unchallenged, seeing the warnings at the top of the page), a key ingredient of the crash was "too many console types". I think that had more to do with the crash than excess of crappy games.

Youtube is awash with poor-quality movies, but that does not seem to endanger Hollywood much (or even Youtube itself, for that matter).

Another counter-example is the PC software market. Lot of junk available at all prices, yet the software industry is thriving.

I've heard console makers sell their hardware at a loss and get their money back with games. That may be especially true of the PS3, seeing the kind of unusual hardware it contains. In that case, free access to dev kits is obviously a no-go.
-- Top10 Racing Simulation needs more developers!http://www.top10-racing.org
Quote:Original post by johdex
About the video game crash being the cause for restricting access to development kits: I don't think that's the main issue.

I think it was the cause, think about it this way. How is a company like Atari supposed to stay in business when everyone is going around releasing games for their console without giving them a cut.

It can't be compared to the PC market because it's completely different. With PC's people are always upgrading their hardware, and that hardware is being produced by a multitude of companies. It's a much more free range development platform.

Now if we had Sony and Microsoft allowing free development on their console, that cuts out a huge amount of revenue for them, all of a sudden they have no money to develop the PS4 or the XBox 720. You have to remember they are losing money on each console they sell, I think Nintendo is the only ones who are making money on each sale of their console.

Quote:Original post by Naku
The last access to the GPU doesn't completely put a stopper on things.

There's a feature at http://gametomorrow.com/blog/index.php/2007/03/07/cell-power-at-gdc-2007/ that shows something rendered in real-time entirely on the CPU. If they can do that I'm sure Tetris will be possible.

It doesn't look like that's being rendered on the CPU. What they're doing is sending off the rendering jobs over the network to a render farm, which then sends the data back. In this case all the PS3 is doing is acting like a server and blitting to the screen.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement