Fast prototype 3D engine

Started by
5 comments, last by soulvoid 16 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I'm hoping someone with experience can help me with choosing an engine that can be used for fast prototyping of a game/application. Besides being able to handle a minimum of graphics like shadows (preferably with soft edges) and a fair amount of triangles, integrated physics support and some decent tools, I only have two real requirements: 1) It must be able to export a model from 3D studio max to the engine format with scene graph hierarchy in one way or another to be able to export f.ex a car as a single model and not have to break it up into wheels, doors, etc. to move those parts. 2) It must have a scripting language with syntax similar to c++/java. Unfortunately the $100000 high end engines are out of the question, so something with a sensible license scheme would be good, a try for free license double so. Thanks for any advice. -H
Advertisement
I'd say, give Panda 3D a try. It fits most of your requirements out of the box, except maybe for the physics support (I found the collision system a bit unreliable at times) but you can use external physics libraries, so with a bit of work, that shouldn't be a problem. That, and Python's syntax isn't very C++/Java-like, but then again, it's a pretty easy-to-learn language.

All in all, I've found it to be a good choice for rapid prototyping. And best of all, apart from some external libraries, it's free even for commercial use. :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
There is of course Torque, which has good tools and most of the things you are talking about.

It uses LUA for Game code (doesn't it? possibly some other script...) which would be great for rapid prototyping.

Though from what I've hear, the art pipeline is a bit tedious.
==============================
A Developers Blog | Dark Rock Studios - My Site
Blender have a realtime engine built in where, you could hardly make a prototype any faster, just add cube, then press p and it runs. It may not be a permanent solution for you but may be worth a try.
Supposedly Irrlicht is easy, but I've never found it to be such.

Might as well try it though. It's a snap to compile :)

FlyingIsFun1217
Unity (www.unity3d.com) fits all of those guide lines.
Quote:Original post by bronxbomber92
Unity (www.unity3d.com) fits all of those guide lines.

Unfortunately a Mac is required to develop with Unity, though a windows version is planned.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement