Making the Most of Wiimote

Started by
19 comments, last by Driv3MeFar 16 years, 5 months ago
Well, I believe there is some skiing or snowboarding game that's coming out, that will make use of the Wii Fit for that.

That too seems to be an interesting interface that opens up various control possibilities.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by sanman
- punching/slapping
- grabbing/choking
- sword-and-shield fighting
- gunfighting
- axe-swinging
- light sabre
- knives, daggers, etc
- baton-swinging, club-swinging
- whips
- lasso
- flashlight
- magnifying glass
- magic wand spellcasting
- feather tickling
- paintbrush
- firehose
- shoveling

Few of these ideas seem that interesting... maybe the wand idea (Harry Potter?) and the paintbrush idea (I recall hearing about a Joy of Painting game, dunno what's happened with that).

Alot of these ideas seem to be variations of melee weapons. Using the sword in Twilight Princess wasn't as exciting as I expected, and Red Steel just plain sucked.

As for things like feather tickling and... shovelling? Check out the College Humor video.

The whip thing doesn't sound to bad, but when I think of how the Wii actually works I realize that any of these things would lose their novelty quickly.

Ok.
I've got to say, I'm with baconfish. I own a Wii, and after the initial novelty of Wii Sports wore off, I was so underwhelmed by the wiimote that I was going to put it on eBay.

And then I discovered Trauma Center: Second Opinion.

Yes, I've played Super Mario Galaxy. It's alright, but I don't care much for Mario games to begin with, and ceaseless, mindless "3D platforming" isn't really fun. I also played Super Paper Mario: funny, but also way too wordy. I own Resident Evil 4. It's alright. Own Rayman: Raving Rabbids. It's stupid.

Even Trauma Center is half annoying. The ceaseless ren'ai-style melodrama is uninspired and tedious, but fortunately there's a skip button. The surgeries, however, are awesome. They don't rely on extreme, full-range motions. They don't require - or even suggest - you to stand or assume any particular pose. In fact, if not for one movement I've made so far (grabbing bone fragments with my tongs and rotating my wrist and hand to rotate them into place), the game could be played with any kind of pointer interface - mouse or stylus for instance, which isn't surprising considering that it was originally a Nintendo DS game.

I'm giving Metroid Prime 3: Corruption a whirl tomorrow. I think it'll be an interesting FPS control implementation for an hour or four, and then it'll be just another bland experiment. I'm sorry, but the wiimote is wildly overrated as a revolutionary control device.
A decent tennis game where the spins make sense would be a good start. Am I the only one who is utterly confused as to why a slice shot travels faster through the air than a flat shot or one with top spin in Wii Sports?

Quote:Original post by barakus
A decent tennis game where the spins make sense would be a good start. Am I the only one who is utterly confused as to why a slice shot travels faster through the air than a flat shot or one with top spin in Wii Sports?

Or why you can't pick which side you hold your racket to based on where you point your wiimote. It completely divorces the movement of your racket from your live movements...
I guess it would be easier to see through it's short comings if it had some depth, but I guess that was never Nintendo's aim with Wii Sports.

I hear Top Spin 2 is coming to the Wii. I wasn't crazy about it on the 360, I really didn't like how they restricted your movement after your opponent hit the ball, but if they do more than the typical half arsed Wii port job it could be a fun little game.

As for Metroid Prime 3, I can't see myself picking it up again. The game makes me feel nauseous, and I don't find it enjoyable enough to justify feeling sick to play through it. The controls are nice at first, but in focusing so much on them they forgot to make a Metroid game. Instead it feels like another sci-fi shoot 'em up, albeit with some more platforming. Shame too, because the first Prime is such a good game.
The only Wii Sports game that i find remotely playable and enjoyable is the bowling.

Seriously though, none of them are really any more that tech demos.
wii javelin.
But seriously, a multiplayer rafting game has to be the best idea. They couldn't get the controls of that wrong, the action is so simple and doesn't encourage you to be lightning fast and then not be able to keep up. Maybe one of you on the raft also has an uzi. So its a bit like chase HQ - but with rafts.
Actually yeah, a good rafting game could be fun. Steering and stroking are tied to button presses, stick/D-pad movements and the tilt of the gamepad. If you tip over, you have to try and recover, and at least one player could be on there as a gunner.

Dammit, lovegoose, now you got me interested.... :P
I think its just about daft enough to be very popular at a low price. The idea of a police chase on rafts down white water rapids.
I was thinking that the wiimote is actually the paddle -

So no need for any buttons or even the d-pad really.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement