Sign in to follow this  

How to make a timer using XNA?

This topic is 3670 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know how to make a timer using XNA? If you know where I can find the information that would be just as good.I don't mind figuring it out myself but I've been looking for a tutorial all day and keep running up on one dead end after another. Basically what I'm doing is making a slide show program.Everything is working but the images are coming by much to fast.I've tried getting the coputer to count to a large number hoping that the time it takes the computer to count to it would be a long enough pause but to no avail.

I don't have anything like a Wait command (those are generally bad in games), but I do have a GameComponent that is a Timer:

public class TimerComponent : GameComponent
{
TimeSpan interval = new TimeSpan(0, 0, 1);
TimeSpan lastTick = new TimeSpan();

public event EventHandler Tick;

public TimeSpan Interval
{
get { return interval; }
set { interval = value; }
}

public TimerComponent(Game game)
: base(game)
{
}

public override void Update(GameTime gameTime)
{
if (gameTime.TotalGameTime - lastTick >= interval)
{
if (Tick != null)
Tick(this, null);

lastTick = gameTime.TotalGameTime;
}
}
}

Then you just tell it how long you want it to go to using the Interval property and give it an event handler for the Tick event and it will send out the events as necessary. Then you just swap your pictures out in that event handler and you'll be all set.

Hope that helps.

Actually I think it will help alot.At the very least it now gives me a starting place so I can figure it out.So is TimerComponent something that comes along with XNA or is it like a method you've made yourself?

Thanks for the help and the quick replay Nick

The .Net Framework provides everything you need, which you have access to by virtue of using XNA.

What you're looking for is System.Timers.Timer.

Use it like this:
void PictureSwap(object o, System.Timers.ElaspedEventArgs e)
{
... // Relevant picture code here
}

System.Timers.Timer t = new System.Timers.Timer(1000); // This creates a new timer that will fire every second (1000 milliseconds)
t.Elapsed += new System.Timers.ElapsedEventHandler(PictureSwap); // Register the function with the timer
t.Enabled = true; // Start the timer!

The timer class with call your function every second (or however long you tell it to). Be aware that the function is fired on a new thread, so you can have other stuff going on too.

This topic is 3670 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.