i wants to make a game

Started by
18 comments, last by jaiburn 16 years, 4 months ago
so im pretty new to all this game making stuff. (like yesterday new). i dont know where to start. whats a good free program to make a game and any guides they have for tem. just give me some advice. (ive had a longer post but my browser closed and i dont rememmber what i had said)
Advertisement
i know ur reading this and wont reply
i hear a good program for 2D games is GameMaker. i have it, but have hardly experimented with it myself. it's easy to use. but u may have to find a tutorial for it on ur own for some of the complicated stuff, like collision detection. also, good luck finding sprites. if u find a good place to make them, lemme know :)

btw, i also heard u can do 3D games with GameMaker, but they don't turn out so good. and if u want to get into the advanced stuff, get a C++ program. Dev C++ is good for those without money. it's almost completely like VB, except i haven't figured out how to get glaux to work (or was it glu?). anyway, check out whichever posibilities u like
thanks, i was looking into something like c++ but i dont know where to look, is the programm called c++ or what? ive googled with many confusing results. i want something to start on and build to my desire.
C++ is a programming language. It is not itself a program. Start by reading the Forum FAQ and then come back with some more informed questions. It'll just give us a better foundation upon which to build.

-me
the real question is do you want a Windows XP envirement or windows 9x?

win 9x DCC (DJGPP) works great even for most graphics (OpenGL)

while windows XP i dont know many, but i got Visual C++ 5.0 Pro and it works wonders in XP, but that is more $ than you seem willing to/ready to spend, let me tell you now dont jump right into game programming do some math program and basic graphics then go into 3d then slowly start on the game (DirectX and OpenGL)

words of warning 1 work on your English *no offense meant 2 start with the simple "HelloWorld" programs, or as i started "GoodByWorld" (c for dummies v.3) then find out how to do simple math and advanced math (needed for AI if you do not use an engine) and last 3 do this at your own pace don't try to rush your self through this stuff if you really need to start in C instead of C++... (little easier)
go to www.bloodshed.net to find the dev c++ program. and a good place to learn about programming in opengl is at nehe.gamedev.net. but u can also make games using DirectX, which is more Windows based, while OpenGL i think is used by all OS's. but with OpenGL, u'll need SDL for sounds and stuff, or so i've gathered. and if u rather use DirectX, u'll have to find ur own tutorials on that, or find tutorials on Java which a lot of sites i've seen lately use, for flash games and just regular flash stuff. but DirectX and OpenGL r the best ways to go, especially DirectX since most big gaming companies like SquareEnix use that, and Ubisoft if i'm not mistaking. but both r pretty complicated if u don't learn the basics and handlings first. i say just find some examples and experiment with the programs a little and see the different effects. that's how i've learned a bit ^.-
my question has been answered in short i was looking for a "program" to get me started into game making, so i got Dev C++. now im looking at some guides to get me started. if u know of any please let me know. but thanks anyways
It is hard to just "make a game" unless you use a drag-and-drop type program like GameMaker. It depends how dedicated you are and what part of making a game you actually want to do. C++ is a programming language (the actual software you need is called a compiler). I know people say beginners should start with C#, but I admittedly don't know much about it. I started with C++ and have been programming since I was about 14 (I'm 20 now). Now, if you go the route of programming, you'll have to start small like hangman, guess the number game, small word type games, etc. before you get into simple graphic games (pong, tetris, etc). However, if you just want to make a game in a few weeks and don't want to dedicate yourself to learning the ins and outs of a programming language, you can just pick up a drag-and-drop type software(GameMaker to list one). You won't be able to make that complex of a game with this kind of software unless you learn some scripting, which is like programming. Not sure if GameMaker has scripting in it or not, but I know that some similar software does. Torque is a little more powerful, yet it can be buggy.
Quote:Original post by whatigot
thanks, i was looking into something like c++ but i dont know where to look, is the programm called c++ or what? ive googled with many confusing results. i want something to start on and build to my desire.

You should try Visual C++ Express Edition. Just google it and you should be directed to a Microsoft page. It's free and is a nice IDE for learning the language. If you're intro reading, I suggest you pick up Ivor Horton's Beginning C++ 2005. The syntax may be different (not too sure about VC Express), but the book teaches you in a very great way. I keep it on my desk for reference.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement