PLEASE DELETE THIS!!!!!

Started by
7 comments, last by Sandman 16 years, 5 months ago
My question is why did this post get 200 views in one day once I gave it this title and only 20 when it was an actual topic, doesn't that seem strange? [Edited by - PatchesV on December 4, 2007 10:11:04 PM]
Advertisement
Don't overdo it with the complex formulas - until you're able to actually playtest you're not going to know if the rules you're creating are actually fun to play, and if you've put in a lot of work developing complicated rule systems you may not feel inclined to accept changes later on when you discover things don't work as well as you might have thought.

- Jason Astle-Adams

*ahem* Nice title :)

You might want to take a look at the generic d20 rules, and how they are handled. It's a large system, but it might be worth a look. Also of note is FUDGE.
D20 is what I'm used to so a lot of this is feeding off of that, but they left out a few things that are difficult to fill in.
Quote:Original post by PatchesV
D20 is what I'm used to so a lot of this is feeding off of that, but they left out a few things that are difficult to fill in.
Are those things worth filling in? Will the game actually be more enjoyable with these things added? Again I'd just like to stress that you won't really be able to tell without proper playtesting of your rules, what seems like a good idea in theory doesn't always result in a good play experience in practice.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I completely agree with you on that, what looks good on paper might suck in a game, but yes, there are certain things that I want in the game, mainly being a more accurate damage system.

Personally I'd LOVE to be able to test it, but unfortunately I lack a computer able to do what I need it to. So i'm getting a lot of the ideas on paper. Yes, a lot of it will probably hit the fan when i make it but i'm ok with that, some of it will still work and that's a step in the right direction, right?
Don't overthink it. People clink because they want to know whether the thread is worth their while, and the title doesn't offer any clues. With a descriptive title, that can be done from the index page, and only the people who think they'll be able to benefit from/contribute to the thread will click. Very few people read the whole board.

Also, multiple exclamation marks are annoying in every context except Chips Ahoy! commercials.
But with a title like "PLEASE DELETE THIS!!!!!" and so few replies you'd think people would get the gist that it's not worth reading.
Quote:Original post by PatchesV
My question is why did this post get 200 views in one day once I gave it this title and only 20 when it was an actual topic, doesn't that seem strange?

Because people are wondering what you posted that was so terrible you wanted to delete it.

I'm not seeing anything particularly delete-worthy in this thread, so I haven't deleted it. Once a thread has outlived it's usefulness, just let it die, please don't change the title to PLEASE DELETE THIS!!! or anything similar. Other people may have similar questions and reading your post might help in their research.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement