How to host a MMORPG?

Started by
46 comments, last by Toolmaker 16 years, 3 months ago
I think the only thing you can't start without is the Physics engine. Databases are all very similar when you want to use them from your C++/Java application, until you want to do clever complex stuff. And if you already have rendering, it's either locked to an OS already or is cross-platform.
Advertisement
The server will be doing no rendering it's just a console application and yes you really can't start without the phsyics engine... btw anyone know if theres a Socket Library that works on all operating systems?
because I only know of winsocket and theres a another that works on Linux an Unix. is there one that works for all?
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight club
Quote:Original post by EmptyVoid
To send the data for each objects will probably be no more then 250 bytes and players will probably have less then 15 items on them so I'll say over all each player will require about 250 KB/sec of bandwidth from the server.
Wait, what? 250 kilobytes per second? So players will need more than a 2 megabit downstream connection to play? Or do you mean Kilobits? (Kb, not KB)If you rally need that much bandwidth, then you're going to have to seriously redo your network setup; there's no way you should need that much, and no way you'll be able to pay for that much bandwidth on $100/month. Most MMORPGs should be perfectly happy on a half megabit downstream connection, and should be able to run reasonably on dialup (Although that's less and less of a concern these days).
Quote:Original post by Smurfwow
Sword? I thought it was a space ship.

That's no sword, it's a space station!
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
To send the data for each objects will probably be no more then 250 bytes and players will probably have less then 15 items on them so I'll say over all each player will require about 250 KB/sec of bandwidth from the server.
Wait, what? 250 kilobytes per second? So players will need more than a 2 megabit downstream connection to play? Or do you mean Kilobits? (Kb, not KB)If you rally need that much bandwidth, then you're going to have to seriously redo your network setup; there's no way you should need that much, and no way you'll be able to pay for that much bandwidth on $100/month. Most MMORPGs should be perfectly happy on a half megabit downstream connection, and should be able to run reasonably on dialup (Although that's less and less of a concern these days).

rofl.. opps yeah Kb not KB... I'll edit that...
Quote:Original post by DukeAtreides076

Does it really look that bad?... I mean REALLY? the swords in Final Fantasy look like this...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And people say there freaking awesome!!!!
Ok I'm making a MMORPG and I'd like to know the best why to host the server appication and the website. I plan to post it on Gamedev when I'm done. So I think it should have a good amount of flow, what would be my best option? the most I would be willing to spend is around $100 /mo and I reallly what a trusted service... You know name brand stuff.

Well, I've figured out where this empty void is...
Quote:Original post by DukeAtreides076

Does it really look that bad?... I mean REALLY? the swords in Final Fantasy look like this...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And people say there freaking awesome!!!!

Well, ff7 had less than 100 polys for each character. Given todays tech, it may look something like above, or better :-)
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Hey hey, guys. Cool it on the sword critique, as programmers you should understand that it is leaps and bounds above most programmer art. He should be far more worried now with the gameplay and network characteristics.

Even 250 Kb/s is probably a bit straining for a MMORPG that will be hosted on $100. Consider that even 100 players on your server at once would require ~25Mb/s upstream from your hosting provider, and this is hardly "massive". Definately get an in-house server setup (it can be a normal computer) and stress test it there. You will probably need to work on lowering the traffic per player then.
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
Quote:Original post by intrest86
Hey hey, guys. Cool it on the sword critique, as programmers you should understand that it is leaps and bounds above most programmer art. He should be far more worried now with the gameplay and network characteristics.

Even 250 Kb/s is probably a bit straining for a MMORPG that will be hosted on $100. Consider that even 100 players on your server at once would require ~25Mb/s upstream from your hosting provider, and this is hardly "massive". Definately get an in-house server setup (it can be a normal computer) and stress test it there. You will probably need to work on lowering the traffic per player then.

Well that was at the max and I said I was going to use a in house computer and everyone made fun of the idea... If I do use a inhouse computer I just need a REALLY good ISP. So I'm going to ask again whats a good ISP for web hosting?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement