Freeware Perl Editor that actually WORKS?

Started by
6 comments, last by Oluseyi 16 years, 3 months ago
I've been on the hunt for a freeware Perl editor that actually works and I have yet to find one. I've tried a couple last night that are supposedly "free" but all of them don't include this "perl.exe" file that they need to run. I'm new to Perl so how do I get these programs to work properly? Thanks.
Advertisement
You don't need an editor to run perl, what you do need is interpreter.

ActivePerl

Quote:Original post by Antheus
You don't need an editor to run perl, what you do need is interpreter.

ActivePerl

How does ActivePerl work? Is it an IDE with an interpreter or just the interpreter by itself?

ActivePerl has no IDE with it. It's really a Perl distribution. It contains the interpreter, necessary core modules and then more useful ones, documentation, and a package management system for the modules.

That means you still you need to get yourself some form of editor to write code. You just supply the code to the perl interpreter, that's about it. You can make do with any plain text editor, you realize?
the best perl distribution

...just kidding
Quote:Original post by oler1s
ActivePerl has no IDE with it. It's really a Perl distribution. It contains the interpreter, necessary core modules and then more useful ones, documentation, and a package management system for the modules.

That means you still you need to get yourself some form of editor to write code. You just supply the code to the perl interpreter, that's about it. You can make do with any plain text editor, you realize?

EDIT: I misread the website. I downloaded ActivePerl and linked the Perl.exe to the Perl Express IDE. Everything works great now! Thanks for the help.

[Edited by - rapidarp85 on December 31, 2007 7:06:52 PM]
[in passing, as i randomly stumble upon this post]

I just wanted to mention this in case this is your first dive into "programming":

Perl was the first language i ever picked up. It taught me a lot of bad habits IMHO, later corrected by more strict or strongly typed languages. I use perl at work as a "tool" language for creating small helper scripts and "glue" scripts for helping to maintain the system. I've also used it for small GUI apps (<1500 lines code). Perl works great for these things, but if you have other intentions or interests, you might consider another language.

I also wanted to mention that, generally speaking, Perl is much more useful and more "at-home" in a UNIX/Linux environment. I learned it on Windows originally too, which is why i decided to post this.

I'm not knocking Perl at all, but just trying to give some small measure of guidence.

Quote:Original post by leiavoia
Perl was the first language i ever picked up. It taught me a lot of bad habits IMHO, later corrected by more strict or strongly typed languages.

All first languages teach bad habits, because they tend to be poorly taught or taught prior to comprehension of solid grasp of programming principles. Don't blame it on Perl.

Python is largely a "better Perl," but Perl is still a solid choice - and, bluntly, a better beginner's choice than C++ due to its native support for rich types.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement