direct input

Started by
2 comments, last by Evil Steve 16 years, 2 months ago
When useing the keyboard direct input fills an array of 256 unsigned chars. I know that the 8th bit of each element is if they key is pressed or not but what is direct input doing with the other 7bits? I looked around but everywhere just uses the last bit and ignors the rest...
Advertisement
It may not be doing anything at all with the other 7 bits. An 8 bit unsigned char is the smallest primitive type you can work with in C or C++, which means for anything more granular you would have to use bitwise operations to extract the characters. Personally I don't think saving the extra 224 bytes would have been worth it.

On a side note, you really don't want to use DirectInput for keyboard input anyway.
Ok how should I do it?

Also for the mouse ive got this so I can see if a button is currently pressed and if it was pressed/releashed since the last game step (at the end of each step [x][1] and [x][2] are set to false)
case WM_LBUTTONDOWN:   mouse[0][0] = true;  mouse[0][1] = true; break;case WM_LBUTTONUP:     mouse[0][0] = false; mouse[0][2] = true; break;case WM_MBUTTONDOWN:   mouse[1][0] = true;  mouse[1][1] = true; break;case WM_MBUTTONUP:     mouse[1][0] = false; mouse[1][2] = true; break;case WM_RBUTTONDOWN:   mouse[2][0] = true;  mouse[2][1] = true; break;case WM_RBUTTONUP:     mouse[2][0] = false; mouse[2][2] = true; break;

But how can I get the current x/y cords.

I searched ont the net but only found stuff for the buttons (above) everything else was with direct input...
Quote:Original post by Sync Views
Ok how should I do it?

Also for the mouse ive got this so I can see if a button is currently pressed and if it was pressed/releashed since the last game step (at the end of each step [x][1] and [x][2] are set to false)
*** Source Snippet Removed ***
But how can I get the current x/y cords.

I searched ont the net but only found stuff for the buttons (above) everything else was with direct input...
WM_MOUSEMOVE

Or GetCursorPos (But then you'll have to use ScreenToClient to convert that into client area coordinates)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement