• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jonmiller

Flight sim style camera.

This topic is 3962 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to make a ship simulator and am running into a few problems when trying to hard attach my camera to the bridge of the ship. I have looked up some basic camera information in a few books that I have and also online. I have come to the conclusion that there must be multiple ways of doing this and I need the way that is not explained. The difference that I'm running into is when calculating rotations for yaw, pitch, and roll these texts have given me a way to manipulate the matrix based on these values, but only when detecting input from a device such as mouse, keyboard, or XBox controller. My situation is a bit different in that I have a steering wheel set up as my input. I'm getting the position of the wheel and passing that into a complex physics function which in turn calculates the actual yaw, pitch, and roll values for my ship. Then I use those values to create a rotation matrix via the D3DXMatrixRotationYawPitchRoll() function. So now I have the rotation matrix of the ship and the position is calculated elsewhere. I take this information and set the camera's LookAt, Up, and Right vectors to match the ship, then use this equation to calculate the camera's position according to the rotation matrix : camera_position = (ship_position + (ship_right * camera_offset.x) + (ship_up * camera_offset.y) + (ship_at * camera_offset.z)); When I recalculate the view matrix like this : //Keep camera's axes orthogonal to each other and of unit length. D3DXVec3Normalize(&direction_vector, &direction_vector); D3DXVec3Cross(&up_vector, &direction_vector, &right_vector); D3DXVec3Normalize(&up_vector, &up_vector); D3DXVec3Cross(&right_vector, &up_vector, &direction_vector); D3DXVec3Normalize(&right_vector, &right_vector); x = -D3DXVec3Dot(&position_vector, &right_vector); y = -D3DXVec3Dot(&position_vector, &up_vector); z = -D3DXVec3Dot(&position_vector, &direction_vector); //Build the matrix camera_view(0,0) = right_vector.x; camera_view(1,0) = right_vector.y; camera_view(2,0) = right_vector.z; camera_view(3,0) = position_vector.x; camera_view(0,1) = up_vector.x; camera_view(1,1) = up_vector.y; camera_view(2,1) = up_vector.z; camera_view(3,1) = position_vector.y; camera_view(0,2) = direction_vector.x; camera_view(1,2) = direction_vector.y; camera_view(2,2) = direction_vector.z; camera_view(3,2) = position_vector.z; camera_view(0,3) = 0.0f; camera_view(1,3) = 0.0f; camera_view(2,3) = 0.0f; camera_view(3,3) = 1.0f; //Set the world matrix to the camera render_dev_ref->GetD3DDevice()->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW, &camera_view); I get crazy information for the position coming out from the dot products, which essentially ends up with my camera pitching, rolling, and yawing properly, but it strafes on the x constantly. After a certain point the camera will then reach its max and warp to the other end, meet up with the ship, and then keep going. I've tried everything I can think of and now I'm wondering if this is a problem where I should be using quaternions. I don't know much but I read up a little about them saying that they alleviate running into a gimbal lock. Is that what I'm getting here? Can anyone help me? I'm very confused and I hope that my long winded post is an adequate description of my situation. Thanks for any tips in advance! :) -Jon

Advertisement
I finally got it working to specification. Apparently calling the D3DXMatrixYawPitchRoll function and then sticking the updated position into the matrix isn't good enough. I had to create a separate matrix for each of the yaw, pitch, roll, and position. Then multiply each one together into a Complete matrix. What the will give you is a hard attach camera causing the world to rotate and roll/pitch with the entity. However, i needed the world to stay flat while the entity rolled, so I had to redo the way I built the view matrix.

D3DXVECTOR3 WorldUp(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);
D3DXVECTOR3 AtPos;
AtPos = position_vector + (direction_vector * 0.5f);

// Since this function takes in points for position and direction, we need
// to scale the direction vector a bit so we are looking in the correct direction.
D3DXMatrixLookAtLH(&camera_view, &position_vector, &AtPos, &WorldUp);

Instead of recalculating the matrix like I was before, all I needed to do was call D3DXMatrixLookAtLH. This does everything for you except for the fact that instead of vectors, it takes in a position point and a look at point. Therefore when we call this function, we have to scale our at vector (direction_vector) a bit so that we end up looking at that point and in the correct direction.

Hope this helps anyone. It's a bit specific, but there it is.

Jon

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!