Newbie to the industry

Started by
5 comments, last by JasonK 16 years, 2 months ago
Hi everyone, I thought I'd introduce myself here. Name's Steve, and I want to get into the video game industry. So how are you all doing =) I'm planning on being a modeler, since I love to model in Maya. I was wondering, does anyone have any advice on how a newbie modeler can break into the industry? Also I wanted to ask, if anyone was working on a project and they needed someone to help model for them, I would like to join their project. I'm willing to work for free, I just want the experience of working in a team, and the chance to make new friends who have similar interests. I can provide models if you need to see some reference work.
Advertisement
Steve wrote:
>does anyone have any advice on how a newbie modeler can break into the industry?

Yes, someone does.
So you're a modeler - where'd you get your art degree?
Where are you planning to move to from Wyandanch, and when?
Got portfolio?
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson27.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Well, I will have an associates degree in June, after attending Katharine Gibbs School's Game Design course. Some friends have told me I should pursue a bachelors in computer science or digital art next, which I am thinking of doing once I graduate. I was really excited because I've been wanting to get into the industry for a long time, but only recently did I develop the courage to actually do it.

I feel I can hold my own as far as modeling goes, though I probably need to work on my high-res models a bit(this is probably more a confidence issue though).

I'll whip up a portfolio site and try to have it up by friday. I'll post a link in this thread for appraisel when it's available =).

I appreciate any help or advice anyone has to offer about this, and I thank you for replying to my topic tsloper =). After I post this I'll read that link you provided. Thanks buddy
Quote:Original post by SteveS
Well, I will have an associates degree in June...
I thank you for replying to my topic tsloper =). After I post this I'll read that link you provided.

IMO, an Associates isn't nearly enough.
My name isn't "tsloper." Nobody calls me that.

Yeah, I feel your right about the associates thing. I plan to continue my education towards at least a Bachelors degree before being somewhat satisfied, but for the time being I still want to experience the industry in any way I can. That link you showed me is really helpful.

Sorry about the Tsloper thing, it was your handle and so I referred to it to address you. I hadn't known it would irritate you so I apologize for it. Sorry =).

Is it ok if I call you Tom?
Quote:Original post by SteveS
Is it ok if I call you Tom?

That's a whole lot better than "tsloper."
Tom is my name. "tsloper" isn't.

Chill out dude, he just called you by your user name.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement