Pirates of Port Royale-3D RPG

Started by
12 comments, last by Gil Galvanti 16 years, 2 months ago
Pirates of Port Royale Hey, I would just like to post about a game I have been developing for a couple years in order to get the name out there more than just The Game Creators forum as well as get some feedback on what people think of it. It being programmed in DarkBASIC Professional and is a 3D single player RPG. Here's the info for it. Since I don't work with deadlines (unless pay is involved), there is no release date set for it, but it's definitely getting there. Description Pirates of Port Royale is a realistic RPG taking place in the 17th century in the Caribbean. It is the age of exploration, and the age of the New World. Law is nearly non-existent, danger is constant, and life uncertain. The choices are numerous and yours to make in the English port city of Port Royale as you decide your career path, your friends, your enemies, and your life. PoPR will be realistic, yet fun. You can choose from a variety of professions, from blacksmith to pirate. Unlike many games, you won’t have to choose your path at the beginning of the game, and be stuck with it for the rest of the game, but, like in real life, you can change your profession and affect your characteristics in game. So you chose to be a doctor and now want to be a soldier? No problem, just take a walk down to the barracks and sign up. The same idea is present with all professions, because the realistic nature of the game allows for things to be done logically like they would in life. All professions may not be for everyone of course, but a wide selection will provide something for every player, from the pirate who wants to kill everyone in sight, to the player aspiring to be the town’s doctor, gathering and creating medicines, and saving the townspeople. While trying to stay realistic, the quests/professions will be engaging and diverse. As with most all other aspects, the combat will be realistic as well, and remain fun (as confirmed by The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion’s combat system’s success). It won’t take 50 hits to the head to take someone (including you) down, in fact it probably won’t take more than one. First-person is for sure the main camera, with a possible third-person camera to be added, but like Oblivion, the game will revolve around using first-person. The entire PoPR environment will be interactive, from entering every building you see, to gathering plants, to picking up most objects you see. All NPC’s will also have their own personality, background, and past, and be fully interactive. “Intelligent” dynamic AI will allow for a more immersive and realistic experience during the game. For example, if you’re a well-known blacksmith, you will probably be more often approached by customers than if you decide to randomly set up your own shop one day with no skills. A user-friendly world editor will be used to create and edit the world, and will be included with the game, allowing for an easily modable game by players who enjoy modding games. Of course a fully functioning (and hopefully growing) world (starting with Port Royale and expanding into inhabitable islands) will be included in the game. A multitude of other features will be included (and have) in this ambitious but hopefully successful project, of which I’m very willing to discuss here, because they are too numerous to go into depth with each one here. An optional story is being created that the player will be able to follow should they choose to. You can completely ignore the story if you want and continue your daily life if you want, however. If the player doesn’t want something to happen from the story, then it won’t (Port Royale won’t suddenly blow up after x number of days ;)). I hope you like the idea, it’s been in the works (and still is) for the past 3 years, constantly being modified to make it a better and more fun experience for all players. Videos THESE ARE IN ORDER OF RELEASE, THE FIRST ONES ARE OLDER, GO DOWN FOR THE MOST RECENT VIDEOS, THERE IS A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE, SO PLEASE DON'T CRITICIZE ASPECTS IN THE EARLY VIDEOS WITHOUT FIRST WATCHING ALL VIDEOS TO SEE IF THEY HAVEN'T ALREADY BEEN FIXED. Video 1 shows a demonstration of most of the core engines through a small quest.
">Video 1 Video 2 shows gathering resources, equipping weapons, trees, and a few other new features.
">Video 2 Video 3 shows the new UI.
">Video 3 Video 4 shows interior/exteriors, sitting, and the beginning of cannons.
">Video 4 Video 5 shows writing in books.
">Video 5 Video 6 shows the beginning of ships.
">Video 6 Video 7 shows how to make a world in the world editor and then exports it to the engine.
">Video 7 Video 8 shows how you mine and smelt minerals, additional minerals will eventually be added.
">Video 8 Video 9 shows the start of combat, swordfighting to be more specific. High quality is here: Video 9 High Quality YouTube is here:
">Video 9 Video 10 shows a few new models and plants created with PlantLife. Only high quality version until YouTube decides to cooperate. Video 10 High Quality Screenshots SCREENSHOTS ARE IN ORDER OF RELEASE, SCROLL DOWN FOR LATEST SHOTS. Engine A shot showing the new UI and the inventory system. This shows an equipped pickaxe and mining. You can also cut trees, and more resources will be available in the future. Here is a screenshot of some foilage made with PlantLife World Editor Here’s a shot of a small test world you see in the second and third video with the newly implemented trees and rocks. Here's after you create two cells, it lists them to the right in the name that you give them, and you can switch in between them and go to the exterior. Here you can see the current (incomplete) list of types of events that you add with it's parameters being displayed and editable at the bottom. Estimated Progress Movement-100% Inventory-90% Crafting-90% Collision-90% Trading-85% Talk-80% World Editor-75% Quest-50% Save/Load/Importing-75% Interaction-35% AI-20% Combat-60% I will be glad to accept any free 3D models for the game. If you are interested in providing some, contact me at gamedev06@aol.com. Thanks for reading, please give me your opinions on the game. [Edited by - Gil Galvanti on February 10, 2008 10:46:16 PM]
Advertisement
Hey that looks really cool, release date?
Cool release date?
cool, release date?
Sorry bought above, my PC was telling me the post didn't go through.
LOL! Actually, go to your posts > edit > check 'delete' box > Make modifications :D
Thanks, no, no release date yet, I don't work with deadlines unless pay is involved :P.
Any more comments? :P
This is a cool game to be released in the future!! I just wonder what reason was in your head to name it what you did?

Well, other than that, it's very cool the way it is... really!
Most likely the n00biest programmer out there. I need a website soon so that I can share my projects with you (when done with my projects).
Looks like the gameplay is very similar to the Elder Scrolls games, which I love. I'm looking forward to it.
God is not all-powerful, as he cannot build a wall he cannot jump.Stelimar Website: eddy999999.ed.funpic.org/Stelimar/index.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement