SQL and C++

Started by
54 comments, last by jbadams 16 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by bigjoe11a
Quote:Original post by yaustar
Q. Can I use C++ to access a SQL server database?

This is the only question in this entire thread from you which was answered by Rip-off. The answer was, yes with libraries.

What is your next question?

The next question would be.

How hard is it to get support for it. After I install it and then when some thing goes wrong, and I need help. Where can I get help that I need to cover areas that the doc's for got about

and are there any libraries that are free. I won't waste my time with 30 day trials

No, no. Those are two questions and you asked them too soon.

The next Question would be:

Q. What library would you recommend if I want to use <insert SQL database name here>?

P.S. I'd answer, but I personally do not have that much experience with SQL usage from C++.
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
Advertisement
http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/data/mfc_database/ado/article.php/c6729/

"Microsoft ActiveX Data Object (ADO) provides an easy way to data access and manipulation that is independent of data stores, tools, and languages. This flexibility and easy-to-code facility makes ADO the perfect choice for developers. ADO is implemented with Component Object Model (COM) interfaces. Unlike VB programmers, C++ programmers must know the details of using COM for using ADO. So, using ADO from C++ is still very complex. But, it is possible to get an easy ADO programming model from C++, which can help to hide the details of using COM. In this article, I demonstrate a C++ class to do this that encapsulates the ADO connection object. You can apply same technique for encapsulating other ADO objects."
Quote:Original post by Radan
Quote:Original post by yaustar
Q. Can I use C++ to access a SQL server database?

This is the only question in this entire thread from you which was answered by Rip-off. The answer was, yes with libraries.

What is your next question?

The next question would be.

How hard is it to get support for it. After I install it and then when some thing goes wrong, and I need help. Where can I get help that I need to cover areas that the doc's for got about

and are there any libraries that are free. I won't waste my time with 30 day trials

No, no. Those are two questions and you asked them too soon.

The next Question would be:

Q. What library would you recommend if I want to use <insert SQL database name here>?

P.S. I'd answer, but I personally do not have that much experience with SQL usage from C++.

then I need to word my posts better. what part is it that you didn't under stand.

I SAID WHAT LIBRARIES can I get that are free to use and I didn't want to waste my time with 30 day trials.

Any way can some one give me an idea about what library to get for both SQL and emails. and I will need some samples for it

the only sql 2005 I know of is ms sql server 2005 for which going by ms's website is probably the easiest way to find it. It is free and has documentation on their website on how to use it. Personally I would use mysql which is also free, as it has the larger community making it easier to find someone who has used it before.
Quote:Original post by stonemetal
the only sql 2005 I know of is ms sql server 2005 for which going by ms's website is probably the easiest way to find it. It is free and has documentation on their website on how to use it. Personally I would use mysql which is also free, as it has the larger community making it easier to find someone who has used it before.

ok, your not getting it

See. I all ready have it. and its installed. I just wanted to see if there was an option that where C++ can access and use a SQL server 2005 database. and remember. that SQL server 2005 also works with database files. and not just the server. If you get the idea here.

I want to be able to Add, delete, query, and any thing else with a SQL 2005 server database in C++. So far I haven't found any thing thats easy and good.

I SAID WHAT LIBRARIES can I get that are free to use and I didn't want to waste my time with 30 day trials.

That is the problem, You never said that. Go ahead, look trough your previous posts in this thread. You never actually said that until now. That is what people have been trying to tell you. NOW you have asked it, sort of.

Wouldn't it be easier if you just asked(I am asking this for you now ):

Q: What C++ libraries would you recommend if I wanted to connect to an SQL 2005 Express database?

I am assuming you have already managed to set up a SQL 2005 Express edition database (I assumed express edition because that is the free one).

The fact that that had to be reconstructed from your posts and you never actually asked that is indicative of a certain failure to communicate effectively on you part. Take it as a constructive criticism.

Now, someone with the knowledge might actually answer your questions.

-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
The only free options I am aware of for MS SQL Server are OLE DB or ODBC. However, neither are easy to use (as indicated by the length of the article in the second link).

Quote:I want to be able to Add, delete, query, and any thing else with a SQL 2005 server database in C++. So far I haven't found any thing thats easy and good.

You will find that easy and good are not qualities that define the C++ language. If that is what you are after then you need a different language.
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
Before i attempt to help, i would like you to answer one question:

Can you give me the definition of what a software library is?
Quote:Original post by Dave
Before i attempt to help, i would like you to answer one question:

Can you give me the definition of what a software library is?

Yes, and my tutor ask me that last week. It mite not be that answer you want. But I'll tel you the same thing I told him.

A Library is an add on MOD. It comes in a *.dll file witch stands for Library file.

You can use these files for many things. They are mostly used in Programing Languages like C++ and some others too.

The library files are coded with what ever language you wanted to give you more options for your programs and to make them better.

Dave, does that help.

You're part way there. DLL stands for Dynamic Link Library, there is also the LIB library type too, which is a statically linked one. You should probably go away and read up on these two types. It's important.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement