Original Post
I'm currently working on the theory behind the next few phases on my AI engine, but I can't figure out how to find the 'best' path. The navmesh is saved in terms of a set of convex planar polygons (nodes), each of which contain a set of edges, which hold connection info. Heres the problem -- when using A*, you obviously have to be able to tell the distance between nodes, but if I use the center of each edge, the actual distance the unit would travel between those edges could be much less, or much more than it actually is, depending on the place hes coming from and going to. I have already worked out a method to find the 'best' crossing points on edges once it has the set of nodes its going to cross, however, this method checks ahead to find the optimal path, and as such, won't work with A*. Any ideas ?:P PS: I'd like to avoid massive amounts of string-pulling :(