GUI?

Started by
10 comments, last by Deric 16 years, 2 months ago
I have been told for making a game i need to use GUI. Yes...yes... i know the basics to c++ and my main focus is game developement not making math programs lol. I need help on GUI, im really not sure how to use it can someone send a link for any downloads needed and how to use it etc. Thank you.
Advertisement
I don't think you know what a GUI is. This is what a GUI is. You may "use GUIs"--heck, you do on a day-to-day basis--and you may even "make GUIs", but there's no such thing as "using GUI" or "downloading GUI".
I'm guessing your new to this, but good on ya for going through the boring math C++ stuff. The reason I think your new is that the math operations are the first thing you do in most language tutorials/books. Also, your usage of the word 'GUI' is a bit off. But never fear! I'm here to help!

A GUI, or Graphical User Interface, is just that; some graphical stuff the user pokes at to use the program. You don't need it for a game, but you'll want graphics unless you want to make a text adventure, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I recommend looking into Python and Pygame. Python is the programming language and Pygame is a library(bunch of code that someone else made for you to use) you can use to make games easily. Search for Pygame with Google. You will find an active community with loads of tutorials that can take you from no knowledge of Python(or even programming in general) to a decent game.

If you wan't to stick with C++, you're going to have to cough up more info for us to work with. What kind of game do you want, what OS are you running, do you want 3D or 2D, and some more detail on your experience.

Good luck, and keep with it.

-Koobs

P. S. Check the Getting Started resources on the site here.
For C++, there's some GUI libraries designed for games, such as CEGUI, but they might not be that easy to set up if you haven't worked with code libraries before.
Quote:Original post by Deric
my main focus is game developement not making math programs lol.

Math is a very important part of programming video games. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

As for GUIs, others in this thread have already answered that question.
ok ty for all your replies and about python and pygame i already have that but i thought it was somewhat too "nooby" and wouldn't give the results i am looking for. But then again i really didn't give it enough time. And i know that GUI is a term not a program but i was asking about libraries and other things for GUI. I guess i should try to use python, the only reason i was looking into c++ was because it is used the most in my opinion, most people talk about java or c++ and c++ is alot more percise in my opinion because for printing one line of text it takes about 20 lines of script with java lol and only like 5 for c++.
one other thing....How about openGL what really is that? is it a GUI? i know its for games can someone tell me more on it
thank you
OpenGL is an advanced graphics API (which is basically a set of commands you can use from pre-compiled libraries). You can definitely make GUI's using Opengl, but it's not beginner friendly.

If you want to do some graphics, one option that is good is using SDL, it's a fairly simple graphics API that's powerful enough for lots of things.

EDIT
You still seem to be confused as to what a GUI is. A GUI is just any graphical user interface. The screen you're reading and using to navigate this forum is a GUI.

You're also very mislead about programming languages. Python is not a "nooby" language, I wouldn't say that any programming language is. It's very powerful and could easily implement graphical games, plus it's easier to learn than C++ which can be very frustrating for the beginner (myself included).
cool ty, i will check on that later. Should i just stick to c++ just keeping in mind that openGL, SDL, and alot of other GUI libraries are used with c++ and not for python?
btw i know what GUI is its anything visual that was made.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement