Point inside of rectangle

Started by
9 comments, last by h3ro 16 years, 1 month ago
Hallo, How can I check if a point is inside a rectangle? The rectangle has been rotated, so I cant simply compare the point to the vertexes (I think). Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by h3ro
Hallo,

How can I check if a point is inside a rectangle? The rectangle has been rotated, so I cant simply compare the point to the vertexes (I think).

Thanks in advance
Short answer: transform the point into the local space of the rectangle, and then perform a point-in-axis-aligned-rectangle test (which is straightforward).
Sorry for being dump here, but could you please explain a bit more? Math is not really my strongest side. Tried google, but couldnt find anything for "point-in-axis-aligned-rectangle test"
Another method:
If you know where the corners of the rectangle are, you can deduce the equation for the four line-segments that make up the edges, which you can then use to determine the normals of each of the edges.

Get the dot-product of the edge-normal and the vector formed from any point on the line to your test-point, this will tell you which side of the line the point is on.
If the point is on the 'inside' of all of the lines, it's inside the box.

Sorry for being dump here, but could you please explain a bit more? Math is not really my strongest side. Tried google, but couldnt find anything for "point-in-axis-aligned-rectangle test"

A "point-in-axis-aligned-rectangle test" is just:
bool Inisde( x, y, l, r, b, t )//x,y are the point, l,r,b,t are the extents of the rectangle{   return x > l && x < r && y > b && y < t;}
Another answer:
* P is the point.
* C is a corner of the rectangle.
* v1 and v2 are the two vectors that define the sides (with C as origin).
* v = P-C

P is in the rectangle if and only if
0<=dot_product(v,v1)<=dot_product(v1,v1) and 0<=dot_product(v,v2)<=dot_product(v2,v2)

Thank you to all of you. I have it working now :)
Thank you to all of you. I have it working now :)

What suggestion did you end up using?
I used yours. It was the simplest and the I understood it :P

Thanks
I used yours. It was the simplest and the I understood it :P
Just for the record, the solution proposed by alvaro is the same as the one I proposed in the first reply to your thread (alvaro, however, was kind enough to spell out the details for you :).
Then it's all the same solution on this page!

V is converting to the local space, and uses the dot products for the point-in-rectangle test?

But the dot products are not really necessary if it's AABB, you could use the Hodgman method.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement