Unreliable Linux GL

Started by
14 comments, last by Khaos Dragon 16 years, 1 month ago
Hello,

I'm also thinking that the problem is coming from the program itself, check your code, extensions exposed by the GL driver and so on.. As it can't behave exactly the same under your linux distro and win32.

Btw, if you're using C++ there are a few more dramatic issues that will come to your noze just like this -> http://www.trilithium.com/johan/2005/06/static-libstdc/

which simply makes uncompatible executables from one distro to another using a != version or subversion of the libstdc++ ;-(
Of course, it's user dependent to fix the problem by manually installing the correct package. :))

Another one which is concerning OpenGL is the damn misuses of Opengl and the *new* 3D desktop effects fashion (see Ubuntu for instance), they are just wrecking X11 applications that are using the canonical X11 window scheme and Opengl .. :(

Finally, you are really encouraged to provide your project with sources and ready for compilation just because the Linux and most Unices environements are *not* designed to share executables binaries. As a conclusion this is *not* only the idea behind the "cool" OpenSource stuff but you're just forced to do so! ;-)

I really think that these issues are the dead end where Linux IS when talking about commercial development.

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Ozzy-yzzO
Hello,

I'm also thinking that the problem is coming from the program itself, check your code, extensions exposed by the GL driver and so on.. As it can't behave exactly the same under your linux distro and win32.

Btw, if you're using C++ there are a few more dramatic issues that will come to your noze just like this -> http://www.trilithium.com/johan/2005/06/static-libstdc/

which simply makes uncompatible executables from one distro to another using a != version or subversion of the libstdc++ ;-(
Of course, it's user dependent to fix the problem by manually installing the correct package. :))

Another one which is concerning OpenGL is the damn misuses of Opengl and the *new* 3D desktop effects fashion (see Ubuntu for instance), they are just wrecking X11 applications that are using the canonical X11 window scheme and Opengl .. :(

Finally, you are really encouraged to provide your project with sources and ready for compilation just because the Linux and most Unices environements are *not* designed to share executables binaries. As a conclusion this is *not* only the idea behind the "cool" OpenSource stuff but you're just forced to do so! ;-)

I really think that these issues are the dead end where Linux IS when talking about commercial development.

I've never heard that linux is designed to make sharing executables harder.. I call BS... infact I can install and run binarys not only ment for other OS's is raticly diffrent managers, but with diffrent arch's.. so this is def unfounded BS.. And the dead fall with linux in commercial is not anything to do with portiblilty but with the fact that the support is not what most users are used to or would be satifyed with..
Allright, but the = result = is the SAME :)

To correct Valeranth:

1 - gcc compiles C++ through g++

2 - It was not my code, it was thrid party libraries code, specifically OpenAL by Creative Labs which I doubt their code not portable enough.

3 - Makefile is not hard, it's flexible.

4 - How long spent on linux? Hmmm 8 years?????!!!!

Well if you're using ATI, that means problems because their Linux driver just suck, they're as buggy as hell.

And that's not a problem of Linux, just that ATI doesn't have good drivers for Linux. If you use a nvidia card, you'll have no problems.
Quote:Original post by HuntsMan
Well if you're using ATI, that means problems because their Linux driver just suck, they're as buggy as hell.

And that's not a problem of Linux, just that ATI doesn't have good drivers for Linux. If you use a nvidia card, you'll have no problems.

I can second this, nvidia and intel both seem to have good drivers for linux as far as non bugginess goes. I've had terrible experiences with ATI on linux.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement