Visual Studio 2005 on Vista

Started by
12 comments, last by daviangel 16 years, 1 month ago
Anyone else using Visual Studio on Vista? The big annoyance I have is that periodically when creating new files or folders programmatically or through external programs called by VS, they are created with no permissions and I have to manually fix the permissions. This seems ridiculous. How can a security model prevent me from accessing the files I just created? That makes no sense, so maybe I'm missing something? One suggested option was disabling UAC, but I had complications when trying that option.
Advertisement
My buddy in school had various compile errors running 2005. Download 2008 express, and it should work fine for ya. He did not have any problems after that.
Quote:Original post by agm_ultimatex
My buddy in school had various compile errors running 2005. Download 2008 express, and it should work fine for ya. He did not have any problems after that.

We have Visual Studio 2008, but have not made the migration yet. The main annoyances would be having to rebuild Boost and Qt for VS2008. I'm not sure the tech lead would want any time spent on that, but I guess I could see if it's a possibility.

Your friend's experience is that VS2008 fixed many of the Vista annoyances w/ VS?
Wasn't there a VISTA patch for VS2005?
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark

There is and I have it installed. Hasn't seemed to fix everything.
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark

Yes but it still ask you to run as administrator everytime unlike VS 2008 since it wasn't written with Vista security in mind.
I'd just use VS2008 if you can.

p.s. And yeah you'll get all kinds of weird file permission errors under Vista espcially when running under a standard account. I've also seen programs create directories and files that later cannot be accessed even with UAC prompt!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
You need the service pack and hot fix's:

VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU
VS80sp1-KB932232-X86-ENU
Black Sky A Star Control 2/Elite like game
Quote:Original post by ViperG
You need the service pack and hot fix's:

VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU
VS80sp1-KB932232-X86-ENU

I believe that's what I have installed on my work system, as they make VS2005 usable on Vista. However, they're not seeming to fix the issues with VS not appropriately launching other processes with the appropriate permissions.
I pretty much have to disable UAC on my computers to use VS2005. After I do that everything works fine.
Quote:Original post by Rydinare
Anyone else using Visual Studio on Vista? The big annoyance I have is that periodically when creating new files or folders programmatically or through external programs called by VS, they are created with no permissions and I have to manually fix the permissions. This seems ridiculous. How can a security model prevent me from accessing the files I just created? That makes no sense, so maybe I'm missing something?

One suggested option was disabling UAC, but I had complications when trying that option.
In what directory are you creating these files? It almost sounds like they're not inheriting permissions correctly from the parent directory.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement