What is fun about Trading and Crafting in an MMO?

Started by
19 comments, last by MatsK 16 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by Girsanov
What makes trading and crafting fun for you?

Nothing, because that would imply that I am a Diamond, when in truth I am a Spade.

There's a modicum of psychology that goes behind the design of games: finding out what people want (achievement of tangible goals, social atmosphere, one-upping fellow players, exploring what the game has to offer, or whatever), and making it available in such a way that it keeps players hooked. In such games as WoW, it appears as though the game primarily caters to the 'goal achievement'-type and the 'one-upping'-type (though of course other outlets for entertainment exist within the game).

I would highly recommend reading the article I linked above, because it might give you an alternate perspective on the goals of players in games.

Cheers,
Advertisement
Nothing in current games... although I didn't play much lately.

Better hype or stats is absolutely something which would make sense for both trading and crafting. Nowadays that real resources are used (typically €$) I believe there could be alot of incentive since players would be producing content after all (virtual ebay? not to this degree).

A really limited example from the past:
About two years ago me and a friend tried to design a spellcraft language which was exactly aimed at providing "real wizards". We really couldn't stand some click-to-kill behaviour. The bottom line of this was that scrolls "on market" would have been sub-optimal and hi-chance to cast.
Writing scrolls would have increased the overall quality (better damage, range etc) but as spell complexity goes high it would have been consistently harder for other players to read the same scroll.
In this sense, it was crafting-oriented but not really market-oriented. The main goal was essentially giving "self-producers" a consistent edge.

Previously "Krohm"

This may have already been stated but if you want to see how NOT to do crafting look at the most horrible craft system out there: Final Fantasy XI. In a game where you never get money, any craft item is very rare and you have to find LOTS of it and spend hours of mundane clicking to try and get your skill up only to need to find harder items that can only be gotten by people well above your skill level so you can continue crafting to the next level blah blah blah no thanks. Very very poor system. Shame on you Square.
Quote:Original post by NickGravelyn
Quote:Original post by Gyrthok
I don't mind going out and gathering the resources needed for crafting, so long as i don't have to gather an exorbitant amount of materials or trek halfway across the world for what should be common items.

That's actually one thing that I enjoyed in WoW. I had this gnome mage who did herbalism. I got my skill so high for my level that for me to find the new herbs to pick I had to venture to the the other continent and travel through dangerous territory. It made it almost more fun than all those generic "Kill X number of Y" quests.

WoW did herbalism and alchemy right, any smithing was done horribly. Most items were weak and could be replaced by low tier raids. the only advantage of it is if you were unable to play very often, couldn't raid, couldn't pvp for arena rewards. If you couldn't put the time in to do either of those, why are you playing a MMO?
These kinds of threads come up a lot (what is it about X that you like) and it strikes me that the replies fall into some common categories:

1. People that dislike X, but also dislike X's game genre in general. Typically there is also a comment that explicitly or implicitly claims that if X were better than they would like the genre (MMORPG's being the most common example). My instinct is that the claim is generally false or at most wishful thinking. Not all people like all types of games. Occasionally they have a valid comment but for the most part they simply are not the target audience.

2. Min-maxers. These people dislike X because they can achieve thier goals faster via Y. There isn't really anything you can do to please such people. If you improve X then Y now becomes "useless". You may even foster resentment because now the time spent on Y was "wasted".

3. The obsessive. These people typically claim to like X in general but dislike aspects of it - usually those that prevent them getting more/better/faster/cheaper. This can probably be viewed much the same as min-max except in this case the goal is actually X instead of X being a stepping stone to something else.

4. Single-issue voters. What these people really like is Y, they feel that X would be much improved if it was more like Y. Anything that is not Y is "boring".

5. The dabblers. This basically corresponds to "explorers" in Bartle's categorization. These people want to do X because it's possible to do X. The fun is in doing something you haven't done before, not the mechanics of doing it.

Enough theory you probably don't care about. I like crafting simply because it gives me something else to do. Sometimes I want to do something other than kill monsters. Occasionally I also get to help myself or somebody else. It's also a diversion while I'm doing other things - e.g. finding a node while grinding. In the above categorization I'm mostly a dabbler with a bit of obsessive thrown in.

In general I don't like trading. I have this somewhat irrational feeling that if I don't make it with my own skills, get it from a quest (without high-level assistance), or loot it from the bloody corpse of the mob I just helped to kill, it just isn't worthwhile. I regularly turn down hand-me-downs from guildees or offers of "help" doing quests (unless the helper is level-appropriate). I will sell things in the AH (to use WoW terminology) but I essentially never buy anything given any other reasonable option and my money goes to waste.
-Mike
Being a WoW addict, I can say that the fun thing about Trading is making money - you need money to up your mount skills and other hugh level stuff. Crafting is fun because it lets you make cool gear to sell, but often takes so much time, money and materials to skill up. Often, at the higher levels of crafting, the payback seems to be nought but 'better' gear that is ok until a certain point in the game. For me, crafting is a way of making money in the middle of the game - the grinding for mats and constant cost of skilling up is a downside, especially as often you end up with "good" stuff that you either don't want and can't sell, or is outdated by the time you've got there.
Quote:Original post by Anon Mike
Enough theory you probably don't care about. I like crafting simply because it gives me something else to do. Sometimes I want to do something other than kill monsters.
We could say it's content. It could be exploited to build content... like in 2nd life? I would find this nice. Some people like to have transparent cases: they're mostly useless (the involved LEDs just eat watts for eye-candy) but they go for it anyway.
Minigames could probably be the solution. Have you ever been at a forgery? I did, there's plenty of content here and they have the opportunity to move large amounts of virtual hobbists (have a trip to the forgery mecca JSW)! Next-gen controllers would be lovely!
Quote:Original post by Anon Mike
In general I don't like trading.
Nor do I. In general I have the impression most people would agree with us. It's unfortunate because I believe trading could really improve the quality of a virtual world...

Previously "Krohm"

Personally, I hate the way trading and crafting is done in a lot of MMORPGs: I farm raw materials for hours, leveling up my harvesting skills. Then, I craft useless items for hours, leveling up my crafting skills. Then I dump everything to NPCs. After weeks or months of doing this, i finally can craft those items which people want. If i choose to just farm loot off mobs, i earn just about as much as a dedicated crafter/trader.

I sort of like how trade is handled in free roam space simulators like X3: everything has to be produced. raw materials are harvested automatically, hands free.

It generates some 'missions' which are often more flexible in their solution than most 'quests'.

Its also 'additional' missions/goals in games which have such limited selection of the typical scripted quests.

It makes the game less one dimensional in giving players more activities to persue (when they feel like it)

Trading is often interacting with real players which often is more complex/interesting than the one dimensional quests.

Unfortunately most games do NOT have a good carfting/trading system and are often as tedious/pointless/limited as (or more than) the rest of the game.

Usually the compexity of the ineteractions between the players and player/environment are too limited and the crafting/trading follows suit.

All round the systems poorly exploit the players use of their imagination.

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
I've never seen a game employ a fun way of farming mats and crafting weapons. So what better than have that stuff done by bots?
The Map could be split into territories which each contain different types of materials, enclosed in a camp, which are gathered by workers (bots) that are employed by the guild/faction that owns the territory. A guild or faction could then try create a market monopoly for a certain material by owning most of the land containing a certain type of material, then be able to trade their exclusive material for a higher price.
Alternatively, competing guilds/factions could rush a camp of workers or equipment factory and steal the day's materials farmed by the bots in the camp or in the case of a factory, the equipment in production. Guilds/factions attempting to do this would however, have to beat high level guards protecting the site.
For crafting, equipment could be crafted by factory workers which require of you certain tools and materials to make the equipment. The tools required to make high grade equipment must be obtained by completing challenging quest. Factory workers work for whoever is willing to pay them the most.
When you look at it distantly, it seems stupid that is fun. You sit down on your computer, farm FAKE resources, to make in to FAKE items to either keep for your FAKE avatar or sell for FAKE money. However, it is fun. I think it is the sense of reward similar to the feeling you get after doing a "hard days work"
-thk123botworkstudio.blogspot.com - Shamelessly advertising my new developers blog ^^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement