3 comments, last by Serenity54 16 years, 1 month ago
Hey I have a function like this:

SDL_Surface* DoSomething()
{
    SDL_Surface* somesurface;

//... do something

return somesurface;
}

Is there going to be a memory leak because I'm not using SDL_FreeSurface? or is the location being completely deleted when the function finishes? Thanks for any clarification. :)
PixelStation.ca - Web design and development.
Advertisement
I assume inside the function you call SDL_LoadBMP, IMG_Load or SDL_CreateRGBSurface or something, and return the newly allocated surface. In this case the caller must clean it up.

SDL_Surface * DoSomething(){    return SDL_LoadBMP("foo.bmp");}void foo(){    SDL_Surface * surface = DoSomething();    SDL_BlitSurface(surface,...);    // need to remember this line!    SDL_FreeSurface(surface);}

If you are writing C++ you can simplify by writing a RAII wrapper over SDL_Surface instances:
#include <memory>#include <stdexcept>struct Surface{    Surface(const std::string &file)    {        surface = SDL_LoadBMP(file.c_str());        if(!surface)        {            throw std::runtime_error(SDL_GetError());        }    }    Surface(int w, int h)    {        surface = SDL_CreateRGBSurface(...);        if(!surface)        {            throw std::runtime_error(SDL_GetError());        }    }    ~Surface()    {        SDL_FreeSurface(surface);    }    void blit(Surface &dest, const SDL_Rect &rect);    void fillrect(const SDL_Rect &rect, Uint32 colour);    // any other operationsprivate:    SDL_Surface *surface;        // disable copying    Surface(const Surface &);    Surface &operator=(const Surface &);};// or boost::shared_ptr, depending on intended usetypedef std::auto_ptr<Surface> SurfacePtr;SurfacePtr DoSomething(){    SurfacePtr somesurface(new Surface("foo.bmp"));        //... do something        return somesurface;}void foo(){    SurfacePtr surface = DoSomething();    surface->blit(...);} // SDL_FreeSurface called at end of scope

Warning: code not compiled or tested.
You need to understand how a pointer works. The code you have there allocates memory for a pointer to the SDL_Surface. IT does not, however, allocate the contents of an actual SDL_Surface.

If, for example, you use the function SDL_SetVideoMode, that function allocates the memory needed. Now, you will need to use SDL_FreeSurface.

If you need to understand pointers...

warning: may contain blue plasticine character with squeaky voice.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Quote:Original post by speciesUnknown
If, for example, you use the function SDL_SetVideoMode, that function allocates the memory needed. Now, you will need to use SDL_FreeSurface.

SDL_SetVideoMode() returns a special SDL_Surface, which is explicitly documented as to not require a call to SDL_FreeSurface(). The video surface is destroyed when you call SDL_Quit() or SDL_QuitSubsystem(SDL_INIT_VIDEO), or when you call SDL_SetVideoMode() more than once.
Ah, that would make sense. Thanks for clearing that up.
PixelStation.ca - Web design and development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement