Original Post
Hi, my names Thomas and I've just discovered the wonders/horrors of antialiasing. I'm currently working on a simple 2d game in java using the Graphics2D. I'm thinking it would be nice to render every frame with AA to smooth out the rough etches since I'm using pixel art in the form of PNG images. So far I've found lots of examples on how to use renderinghints to turn AA on when drawing shapes, lines or simple fonts but no good examples for rendering images. I've found this but it seems much too complicated and as the author himself states "Note that there will likely be some performance hit from transforming the image in this manner" link to mentioned article It seems like a real hassle if thats the only way to do it. And I have no idea whether the AA only triggers when you actually transform the image or if it's apllied on static images as well. I've had a look at OpenGL and the LightWeightJavaGameLibrary JLWGL which claims to use OpenGL but I can't find a simple good at example of how to render images such as bmp,png,gif or jpeg with AA. What I want to do is draw all my images in a buffered image and then render this image with AA before showing it. If you could just point me in the right direction or show me one good example of how to do this I would be ecstatic. Thanks in advance, Thomas