DirectX breaks graphics card

Started by
49 comments, last by Evil Steve 16 years, 2 months ago
i get this kind of things actually.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

and it happens for all the directx examples on my notebook.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by juxie
what should i do to fix this?
sorry i am really in nervous state.
Are you still getting the green bars? It's usually caused by not clearing your render target, although I see you are clearing it there.

And that graphical corruption does look very much like it's overheating or a driver bug. It doesn't affect all primitives, it looks more or less random, and if it's happening on the SDK samples, there's definitely something wrong with the hardware or driver.
Do you get the same corruption with the reference rasterizer?
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
Are you still getting the green bars? It's usually caused by not clearing your render target, although I see you are clearing it there.

And that graphical corruption does look very much like it's overheating or a driver bug. It doesn't affect all primitives, it looks more or less random, and if it's happening on the SDK samples, there's definitely something wrong with the hardware or driver.
Do you get the same corruption with the reference rasterizer?

no i don't get the same corruption with reference rasterizer.
I tried to remove pd3dDevice->Present(0, 0, 0, 0) which seemed to remove the green bar.
no i don't get the same corruption with reference rasterizer.
Definitely a hardware or driver issue then. All I can suggest is cleaning the vents, keeping it in a cool place, updating the drivers, and if all else fails, getting a professional to look at it.

I tried to remove pd3dDevice->Present(0, 0, 0, 0) which seemed to remove the green bar.
That's because you're no longer rendering anything, so there's nothing to see [smile]
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
Definitely a hardware or driver issue then. All I can suggest is cleaning the vents, keeping it in a cool place, updating the drivers, and if all else fails, getting a professional to look at it.

That's because you're no longer rendering anything, so there's nothing to see [smile]

Is there anything wrong you can see from my render which have a problem?
I really can't thank you enough for replying me as soon as I post my problems.
Really appreciate it.

Is there anything wrong you can see from my render which have a problem?
Nope, nothing I can see from the code you posted. The main warning sign is that the samples don't work - they're supposed to be 100% correct and should work on all cards. So if they don't, and the reference rasterizer works, there's definitely something wrong with the card or driver.

I really can't thank you enough for replying me as soon as I post my problems.
Really appreciate it.
No problem [smile]
sorry i still have error when running on debug runtimes.
basically when i try to render the cloth it gives me some sort of null reference exception.
could this be caused by the hardware issues that I am facing?
it doesn't happen in retail.

[Edited by - juxie on March 17, 2008 3:56:09 PM]
sorry i still have error when running on debug runtimes.
basically when i try to render the cloth it gives me some sort of null reference exception.
could this be caused by the hardware issues that I am facing?
it doesn't happen in retail.

i solved it by changing my lock parameter to

buffer->Lock(0, 0, (void**)&pVertices, 0);

but still see green bars until i remove Present().
will that cause a problem?
it doesn't display anymore errors either i use Present() or don't
just the green bars when using Present()

[Edited by - juxie on March 17, 2008 7:25:51 PM]
i solved it by changing my lock parameter to

buffer->Lock(0, 0, (void**)&pVertices, 0);
That'll be very inneficient - you're not telling the graphics card what you're doing with the lock, so it can't do any optimisations. You should specift one of the flags for the last parameter, unless you have a static vertex buffer.

but still see green bars until i remove Present().
will that cause a problem?
it doesn't display anymore errors either i use Present() or don't
just the green bars when using Present()
If you take a screenshot, do you just get a solid green screen? If not, can we get a screenshot?

You could try commenting out parts of your render function until the green goes away - start with just leaving in the Clear() and Present() calls.
Quote:That'll be very inneficient - you're not telling the graphics card what you're doing with the lock, so it can't do any optimisations. You should specift one of the flags for the last parameter, unless you have a static vertex buffer.

When I specify the D3DLOCK_DISCARD, i will get errors on debug runtime.
What should I specify if I am trying to efficiently render particle system.

Quote:
If you take a screenshot, do you just get a solid green screen? If not, can we get a screenshot?

Yes if I take screen shot, i will just be a solid green screen.
Does that mean it's alright?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement