Growing/Shrinking in games

Started by
14 comments, last by Badgerigar 16 years, 1 month ago
Having completely arbitrary height to deal with (between X and Y) would maybe make levels hard to design, so I would consider having distinct states that the player can transform up or down from (maybe the transition takes some time).
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Boder
Having completely arbitrary height to deal with (between X and Y) would maybe make levels hard to design, so I would consider having distinct states that the player can transform up or down from (maybe the transition takes some time).

I would agree that any arbitrary height would make level design harder, but since it's a platformer I don't think it should take much time to change sizes (so you can do changes in mid-air, mid-run).

Actually that would be another argument for having pre-set sizes... a single button press to change sizes would let you do so quicker than having to hold it for arbitrary size-change.

If for some reason you did decide to go with any arbitrary size, possibly map it to the right analog stick's Y axis, so that flicking UP will make you full size, DOWN will make you tiniest, and somewhere in-between (right or left) is mapped to the middle range.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

JellyCar does something similar. I think it takes the route where it limits the time that you can be big. As mentioned, it also uses the mechanic as a way to solve puzzles. Kinda cool that it's one of the first games being released through the XNA community arcade as well.

JellyCar video:
If you had in sandbox type environment (thinking of some werido gta) you could have different missions depending on "size". If you go too large then the whole city will come after you (ala king kong). Regular size you will do the ordinary missions. Tiny and you can battle with hobbits

Though I do like the idea of doing an Alice in wonderland mushrooms and so forth.
I dream hard of helping people.
Take a look at portal. They probably had a horrific time making sure you went where you were supposed to.

Also, the flash game SHIFT demonstrates how to design a good level for strange abilities.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/ArmorGames/shift

-Humble Hobo
Wow! I didn't expect so much support for this project. :)

Also I like this idea:

Quote:Original post by speciesUnknown
what if there were other dynamics, such as switching between being armour plated and very slow, and being fast but unarmoured? or, being fire resistant but vulnerable to water, or vice versa. then, require that the player jump from one platform to another, whereby one platform passed through a waterfall, and the next through a fireball, etc.

Maybe the hero could acquire more and more of these skills throughout the game.
Another thing to consider is how the hero gets his abilities. Maybe a sidekick, 'cause no hero should save the world alone.

Currently doing PyWeek though so this project will go on hold for a while.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement