Developing an RPG - opinions needed

Started by
26 comments, last by wirya 16 years, 1 month ago
Hello people. Currently I'm developing an RPG, independently. This RPG will be somewhat different from the usual RPGs we can find nowadays. It will have the following features : 1. 25 roles/classes which work together building a society. 2. More than 70 action effects which compose hundreds of game action used in interaction, battle, socialization, trade, and others. 3. More than 100 characters, each with it’s own unique background and characteristic. 4. NPCs which all have full role in the game, just like the PC. 5. More than 30 types of creature, each with it’s own characteristic. 6. A real-time action system which open the door for action timing strategy. 7. More than 30 clans and 10 factions, each with it’s own characteristic and relation to each others. 8. A real-time socialization system which is based on information distribution. 9. AI which performs actions accurately based on the characteristic of the NPC’s class or the creature's type. Firstly, I need your opinions/thoughts on these matters/questions : 1. Judging from the features described before, can the game draw your interest, and how interested will you be? 2. If you're interested, which features interest you the most? 3. If the game includes minimal "eye-candy" (to the point that it looks almost like a regular application instead of a game application), will the game still interest you? 4. If so, how much the suitable price for it would be? If anyone want to throw some comments/critiques/questions about the features, feel free to do so. I might describe the features in details, if you're interested. Thanks in advance for any replies.
No masher just Master!
Advertisement
Bullet-point lists with big numbers and impressive features are the things of big commercial games designed to get people to buy the game.
So you mean, I should say that my game will have 10000 characters instead of 100, 3000 types of creature instead of 30, 2500 roles instead of 25, and so on?

:D
No masher just Master!
1) "More than 70 action effects" or "25 roles/classes which work together" doesn't interest me if I don't know what they are ;)
If I saw a list of them, and could see how the interaction between these different effects creates an interesting game-play environment, then I might be interested. Remember that some of the greatest games of all time have very few options/actions, but the way that they interact creates a great game!

2) This one interests me: "A real-time socialization system which is based on information distribution."
From some of the oblivion hype, I was lead to believe that oblivion would have such a system, and I was quite disappointed when it didn't...

3) Yes.
4) Free, with an optional donation. People who make a donation should be given something special. E.g. "Lord" on the front of their name, or extra items, or some gold, or a better way of getting in-game information.
Quote:Original post by wirya
1. Judging from the features described before, can the game draw your interest, and how interested will you be?

The magnitude of elements included in a game is not something that usually impresses me. Some of the key concepts you mentioned would sound favorable to me if I were to read it without paying attention to all of those 'more than's.

Quote:2. If you're interested, which features interest you the most?

Real-time, and the fact that AI is modeled for each type of character.

Quote:3. If the game includes minimal "eye-candy" (to the point that it looks almost like a regular application instead of a game application), will the game still interest you?

An application? That's about as minimal as it gets. I would be drawn to any well designed and balanced game, as long as there is some type of representation beyound buttons and text. It's difficult for me to even imagine real time action with buttons and text.

Quote:4. If so, how much the suitable price for it would be?

Isn't it a little early to decide that? I mean you'll be working on this game for about 4-8 years. The stock market may collapse again before you finish.

Quote:If anyone want to throw some comments/critiques/questions about the features, feel free to do so. I might describe the features in details, if you're interested.

To be completely honest, you didn't describe much at all about your project. Most of the features you listed are a part of any role playing game. The sheer number of types of objects and actions is not something that's very important to real gamers. What is the point of the gameplay? To survive? To grow? To conquer? To save? What will the player be doing the most of to accomplish that goal? Fighting? Conversing? Planning strategy?
Quote:Original post by Hodgman

4) Free, with an optional donation. People who make a donation should be given something special. E.g. "Lord" on the front of their name, or extra items, or some gold, or a better way of getting in-game information.

No, never items/gold or any advantages, only aesthetic rewards are somewhat acceptable if even that. Money/Game relationship should not be related at all.
25 roles/classes seems like an awful lot to develop each in any depth. I'd rather see a game with 4 unique deeply developed classes or races than one with 25 that you can barely tell apart.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

1. Judging from the features described before, can the game draw your interest, and how interested will you be?
Probably not much. There are some things which I don't like in the first place. Personally I don't find this bullet list to be useful in understanding if the final thing will be good. Design-wise, as other users have suggested, this doesn't guarantee everything will end up being interesting.
Quote:Original post by wirya2. If you're interested, which features interest you the most?
N/A for me.
Quote:Original post by wirya3. If the game includes minimal "eye-candy" (to the point that it looks almost like a regular application instead of a game application), will the game still interest you?
Yes but define "minimal". NV1x is ok. VooDoo2 is not. 640x480 isn't good. 2D can be good.
4. If so, how much the suitable price for it would be?
Depends if it's going to be subscription based or not. I fear you cannot go over 9.5 units of your favourite currency (even under what I think it's the highly unlikely scenario in which you hit AAA quality).
If anyone want to throw some comments/critiques/questions about the features, feel free to do so. I might describe the features in details, if you're interested.
I appreciate the opportunity.
The first thing I don't like is the role/class system.
Role/class systems were probably introduced for easiness of management in paper-and-pencil games. Their usefulness in automated systems could be debated.
I suppose DnD and GURPS to be the big two players here (like D3D and GL ;) ) the first is widely adopted and evolved, the second is much more a slow-moving niche-like thing which allows to do wonderful things for pro players.
The GURPS ruleset intrinsically supports both build-your-class-from-skills and a lot of flexibility the other doesn't. Look at how the DnD ruleset evolved (I've had a look to 2nd->3rd->3.5) and you'll figure out they introduced alot of "feats" just to make it more flexible.

In my opinion, rule/class systems are broken. We don't have a strict rule in real life and I don't see why we should have one in the virtual reality, a thing exacerbated by the fact we can summon mystic powers to slay mythical creatures in the simulated world. I don't even see the low-level benefit, although I have to admit I don't even though at it much. Why not just to employ a flexible skill system and let everyone choose by its own?
In fact, I can some good reasons for which this shouldn't happen but I believe the problem could be tackled effectively.

The other is related to the combat system.
I appreciate that the thief slowly crawling behind a character moving on soft carpets and staying in the shadows gets a +200% hit ratio and +800% damage. What I don't think is a good idea is to require all players to take accurate aiming with their crossbow. It's something they would find difficult and I'm unsure the average PC-RPG gamer would like this.

Previously "Krohm"

yeah, sounds like you just want to make what oblivion was supposed to be.

The elder scrolls has been trying to be this for quite some time. What is it exactly which sets your game apart?
Quote:Original post by RivieraKid
What is it exactly which sets your game apart?

That was my first thought, also. Glad someone else is on the ball.

Sidenote:

Quote:Original post by Hodgman
From some of the oblivion hype, I was lead to believe that oblivion would have such a system, and I was quite disappointed when it didn't...

I was too... [bawling]
Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement