Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

AVI's

Started by GameDev.net Oct 27, 1999 at 8:00 AM 5 replies 1.3k views
Original Post
GameDev.net
GameDev.net
What's the best way to play AVI's.. I've
seen this question been asked before, but
with no answer.. I want to show a logo
before I go into the game.. It needs to
be full screen though.. The logo right now
is 640x480, which is fine for going into
DirectX.. What's the best way to do this?
emfb
emfb
What you want is DirectShow, it's part of the DirectMedia 6.0 SDK

You can check out the documentation at: http://www.microsoft.com/directx/dxm/

More specific to your question: http://www.microsoft.com/directx/dxm/help/ds/AppDev/Play_Movie_from_C++.htm

It can play mpg,avi and even mp3 files. Best of all its a no brainer to add to any program.


"You know you're obsessed with computer graphics when you're outside and you look up at the trees and think, "Wow! That's spectacular resolution!""
DarrenNix
DarrenNix

WELL. I HAVE AN ARTICLE THAT THEY HAVEN'T POSTED HERE YET, called "Working With AVI Files". It's on my website:

Dream Design

Now this article was written with Microsoft's original AVIFile interface in mind. That's the easiest and fastest interface to decompress video and audio sequences. I have two sample codes showing the rendering into DirectDraw, and a complete royalty-free wrapper class.

I would recommend DirectShow if you intend to synchronize game animation over video (although one of my samples does that anyway), or if you have high quality movies and require the fastest frame rates. The AVIFile interface is an excellent alternative to use while you're learning DirectShow (which has a higher learning curve).

Email darrennix@msn.com anytime.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.