game engines...

Started by
4 comments, last by CodeLuggage 16 years ago
hi, im not sure if you guys remember me but i used to come here like a year ago. anyway i have a few questions real quick. i use 3ds max 2009, and i was wondering to make a 3d game would i need to know c++ or c#? im unsure if c# supports 3d. my friend is a programmer already so we are getting together... but id like to have an understanding of what language is easier (i think c# but correct me) also can somebody point me to a free engine? (2d and 2d engine)
Advertisement
ask.com is your friend. you can make games in pretty much any language. XNA might be a good option for you.

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/
i thought xna only lets you program in 2d.. also forgot to ask whats open gl?

Edit: on second thought... as you guys know i want to make 3d games... but with past experiences i know im not even ready for a 2d game... but in the meantime all i have to know to make games is c#? also is it compatable with open gl? i want to use that
XNA is what you're looking for. It is C#, written in an environment which focuses purely on creating games.
It has built it support for loading images, models and such, and it's very easy (compared to other languages) to write a game in.

OpenGL stands for Open Graphics Library, and is just that. It is a collection of libraries which acts as an interface between you and your computer, to create graphics.

DirectX is what XNA uses, but don't get caught up in that. Just read about XNA - the beauty of it is its ease of use, and support for game development - in fact, you shouldn't have to worry about DirectX or OpenGL at all.

I suggest you try not to worry about anything other than XNA until you've got some basics up and running by following simple XNA-examples.

Good luck, and remember to have fun!

EDIT:
Forgot to add that XNA fully supports 3D, and everything else you'd need (for now).
Student at NITH, Norway2nd year of Gameprogramming BachelordegreeC++ enthusiast
xna... ill look into it. is it a compiler like visual c++ or c#?

oh and that http://www.devmaster.net/engines/ doesnt have anything on xna
Yes, it's an additional download for Visual Studio, and that's all you'll need I believe.
Student at NITH, Norway2nd year of Gameprogramming BachelordegreeC++ enthusiast

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement