What do you think?

Started by
8 comments, last by Kest 16 years ago
I am in the process of writing the toolset to build the data for my game. Here is the a link. http://cpplibs.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F7D26664CE20E649!1755.entry That entry will tell you about my Map Editor so far.
Advertisement
Who told you I do? >.>
This is the class I am using to store the data if a tile is passable or not. I extracted it from my code as a stand alone class because I thought it would be useful for others.

BitVector

Seriously though, what do people out there think of this? It has compression/decompression (yes, I know it's not the best out there - atleast I wrote it myself though) and it supports two layers, and it will have trigger edit mode soon. I just need to write my own CheckBox class (either that or owner draw, it makes more sense to just write my own class) to handle toggling the modes of the control.

TXR

Quote:Original post by GuildBuilder
Seriously though, what do people out there think of this?

I think that 'what do you think' type questions are extremely useless. It doesn't matter one iota what I think of your map editor: the important thing is that it does the job it was designed to do.

If it does, then excellent work.

Of course if you wanted some more specific feedback, then maybe other people's opinions might have some value. However you'll need to be a bit more specific about what you're interested in getting feedback on.
There seems to be hostility/jealousy in the air just daring to be called out so they can deny it. Oh well, I know that, but I am not going to start anything. Case closed.

Anyways, what I am looking for on feedback is what would end uers like to see added? I got ONE reply about something like that, and that was a mini-map suggestion elsewhere. I have that on my TODO list.

Now here? I have just gotten hostility. This probably means you are being pushed around by the nazi government, and are not willing to admit it. I will stop there. (Don't like it, too bad. I didn't post it here)
Anyways, what I am looking for on feedback is what would end uers like to see added?

Now that is an infinitely better question than 'what do you think?'. At least it gives us some vague idea about the kind of replies you're looking for.

Quote:I got ONE reply about something like that, and that was a mini-map suggestion elsewhere. I have that on my TODO list.
Now here? I have just gotten hostility.

I'm sorry, but I imagine the reason for the lack of useful responses here are almost certainly due to the vagueness of your original question.

Even now you've clarified a bit, I'm still not sure we have enough information to provide a useful reply. Without a better understanding of the intended purpose of the editor and the kind of game it's being developed for, we can do little more than brainstorm random features. Perhaps that is enough, but let us know anyway.

Quote:This probably means you are being pushed around by the nazi government, and are not willing to admit it. I will stop there. (Don't like it, too bad. I didn't post it here)

I'd better end this post here, Zombie Hitler is coming.
Sandman, why does your little corner of the site draw out the crazies? :(
http://edropple.com
Quote:Original post by Edward Ropple
Sandman, why does your little corner of the site draw out the crazies? :(

Because it's an oasis of creativity, and we all know that creativity and craziness often go hand in hand.

Well, that's what I keep telling myself anyway. [grin]
There seems to be hostility/jealousy in the air just daring to be called out so they can deny it.

As an unbias outside observer, I have to say you're way off base. If anything, Sandman was being generous with the "if it works for you, it's perfect" compliment. Your tool looks like it took all of five minutes to develop. It looks fine so far, but it's certainly nothing to show off yet.

Here's a piece of advice from someone who's had a tremendous amount of experience with game editor development: avoid them as much as possible. Keep your editor as simple as possible, and put the heavy details into other areas, such as text parsing and object start-up scripting. Every time you make a change to your game, you'll end up going back to add and remove dialogs and interfaces to and from your editor. Eventually, you may even avoid changing aspects of your game to avoid having to change the editor.

Tile modules are an example of a map editor setup in that line of thought. Most of the details about how a tile functions and looks can be put into a text file somewhere, and your editor simply allows you to paint them onto the map easily. In this way, removing/adding variables to your tile structure/class/object should not require you to update your map editor or saved map files. Rather, you should, at most, only have to update a few text files. Often, you won't have to update anything, since text parsing allows for easy default variable values.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement