Game Design/Programming Schools

Started by
5 comments, last by Speeder 16 years ago
Hi people, I take the opportunity to give greatings to all. I stilled register but it's a while that I surf on this site. I'm studying informatic engeener in Manno - Switzerland and I (hope :-P ) will take my bachelor on 4 month. Now I want to study Game Design to complete my curriculum but I don't really know where go to study. I search for some time and I founded UAT in Tempe - Arizona (USA) I think it's really a good school, but as everyone knows everybody make big of his self, so I want to inform and see what you people think about. Are there some better school?Even in Europe, but in USA i prefeer, i want to do this experience and I want the best, if it's possible. The faculty I would prefeer it's Game Design but Keeping an eye also on Game programming it will be not bad. I heard about some on-line school but I'm not so actracted(hope it's writing like that :-) )about. The life on campus is another thing, the contact with teacher give result. Someone can give me some hints? thank you bery much byyyy :-DDD
Advertisement
I've heard plenty of great things about Digipen Institute of Technology in Redmond, WA. If you check out the Independent Games Festival, you may notice that Digipen projects consistently take home awards.
Digipen is not bad, but for programming tracks it seems to be better to go with a computer science degree first. A well-rounded CS education will probably serve you a lot better. Somebody who goes to school for "game design" or "game programming" is missing out so much on actually learning how to write good code.

For the media side of game development, on the other hand, Digipen seems to be great.
http://edropple.com
My thoughts.
Thx everyone for the opinion, and portugal I'm not sure about your answer, you mean I must go in an informatic school before starting? Becausa I'm already studying informatic at university :-D We had done lot of thing, C, C++, Java, lot of DB, tons of math, some web.

Eheh i think that for now the informatic part is done...if i will pass this f¡°ª∂¡°ª year :-P

no other one who had some experience? :-D

Maybe someone who studied at UAT would be really interesting to hear :-D

thx for the feedback
I am a student in a brazillian game design school, it is really game design (still the school has some flaws, specially because some teachers do not understand nothing about games, only about design), they will not teach really usefull programming (altough they require it, each semester we have to create a game or a animation, usually using skills that we do not learned), but the art side is strong, but easily the strongest side is design, you will have to study psycology, mythology, history of design, history of art, and Aesthetics (remembering that Aesthetics is not about beauty, but the ethical phylosophy existant on art, like Jackson Pollock art, considered ugly, but still art and still phylosophycal)
IGDA São Paulo member.Game Design student.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement