Distribution problem (allegro manifest specific)

Started by
3 comments, last by lone_wolfII 16 years ago
I'm stuck. I know there's other threads about this problem. None of the solutions that have been posted have worked unfortunately. :( I have a simple program that I wrote using C++ in Visual Studio 2005. It's a Win32 project. It works fine when I run it on my dev computer. This computer has dev allegro dll's and the msvcr.dll, msvcp.dll and msvcm.dll. I've attempted to run the program on another computer without these dll's. No matter what I try the program spits out the error "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." I can't work out what's wrong with my configuration. Here's the folder structure of my program:

+ gameFolder
|
+--+ manifest
|  |
|  +-- msvcm80.dll
|  +-- msvcp80.dll
|  +-- msvcr80.dll
|  +-- MSVCR80.dll.manifest
|
+--+ sprites
|  |
|  + helicopter_all.bmp
|
+-- alld42.dll
+-- alleg42.dll
+-- allp42.dll
+-- license.txt
+-- netAssault2.exe
+-- netAssault2.ini
The contents of the manifest file is as follows:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes'?>
<assembly xmlns='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1' manifestVersion='1.0'>
  <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
      <assemblyIdentity 
        type='win32' 
        name='Microsoft.VC80.CRT' 
        version='8.0.50608.0'
        processorArchitecture='x86' 
        publicKeyToken='1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b' />
    </dependentAssembly>
  </dependency>
  <file name='msvcr.dll'/>
  <file name='msvcp.dll'/>
  <file name='msvcm.dll'/>
</assembly>
I cannot work out what's wrong with it for the life of me. Does anyone know what could be wrong? The manifest reads on compile and can find all msvc*.dll's. I'll upload the program if anyone needs to look at it closer. Thanks guys.
My blog - Attempting to sell my skills to the game industry:http://devyourdream.blogspot.com
Advertisement
Quote:
I've attempted to run the program on another computer without these dll's

Well you already know the difference since your stating this as the problem. Copy alleg42.dll or whatever it is to your exe folder.

Configuration problem at startup = dll problem

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

This must be a common problem since it's mentioned in the Allegro wiki. This should help you figure it out:

Deployment

Microsoft introduced a new way to handle DLLs with Visual C++ 2005 (in both Express and retail versions) that is very confusing to people expecting the traditional behavior. It's beyond the scope of this article to explain why they did and how it all works, but let it suffice to say that you can no longer just drop a DLL in the same folder as an executable and expect everything to work in Windows XP or later versions.

You'll soon find out that not many people have the VC 8 runtime DLLs that are needed to run your programs. So you'll need to distribute them with your project, the proper way. First off, make sure you are building a Release build (as opposed to Debug). Then you need to use one of the following two methods:
Using the Microsoft.VC80.CRT folder
or
Using the Static C Runtime

I haven't tested either method out myself since I just started using Allegro but if I do and you haven't figured it out by then I'll post my results here.
In the meantime you can use dependency viewer to see if you missed some dll's like this article explains.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by dpadam450
Copy alleg42.dll or whatever it is to your exe folder.
Configuration problem at startup = dll problem

I have. All the allegro dll's are straight from my machine.
I believe the problem lies with the manifest file - the folder structure may be somehow pointing incorrectly to some dll's.

My blog - Attempting to sell my skills to the game industry:http://devyourdream.blogspot.com
Quote:Original post by daviangel
This must be a common problem since it's mentioned in the Allegro wiki. This should help you figure it out:

Yeah, already found that one myself, the content on that page shows a very similar setup to my folder system.

I can't see the why mine doesn't work :(. All my msvc*.dll's were downloaded from this page.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement