EA takes the cake and eats it too

Started by
131 comments, last by Zahlman 15 years, 11 months ago
* Techdirt: EA To Use Controversial Internet-Required DRM On New Games:
Quote:..."PC Gamers are in an uproar over a new copy protection system announced by Electronic Arts for use on their upcoming titles. The PC-port of the successful Xbox title Mass Effect, and the eagerly awaited Will Wright title Spore will be two of the higher profile games to use this new system. The new system is the latest iteration of the SecuROM protection, which has caused problems in the past over technical issues with several popular titles. The version of SecuROM that shipped with Bioshock was even accused (but never proven) of installing a root-kit on users PCs. This new version is causing controversy due to an online verification system connected to its CD key. The system requires a connection to the internet during installation to check the CD key is valid, and then registers the key with the users' computer. After this the game will try to re-check the CD key every 5-10 days to ensure it hasn't since been found posted on a forum, or used in some form of piracy. If the game can't verify the key within this period it will continue to try for a further 10 days, after which it will stop working until the key is checked. The protection will also only allow the game to be installed three times. A lot of gamers consider this intrusive and inconvenient, and that the publishers are effectively assuming their customers are pirates and looking over their shoulders every 10 days to check. Other concerns have been raised over users who don't play with machines permanently connected to the internet (such as laptops), or how the system will work in regards to resale. A comprehensive help-line has been promised to help people deal with these issues and the developers have mentioned the new system will remove the need for a DVD to run the game, but these potential problems combined with SecuROM's past have made some call for a boycott of the titles and others to declare an intention to pirate the game out of spite." Seems like more short-term thinking. If the effort is to reduce "piracy" it won't work. People will figure out other ways to pirate the games -- that's almost guaranteed. So, in the end, all this will really do is piss off the legitimate customers who paid for something that suddenly doesn't work, though no fault of their own. That hardly seems like a good way to build up a strong supporting fan base.
More of the same for us gamers. I use Steam and I must admit I have little to no issues with it, and I'm also an always-on internet user, but that doesn't mean that this system EA is trying to implement is fair to its users. Once again EA makes sure that those who payed for their Product are the ones having the less enjoyable experience. I'll sit nervously after double-clicking the Spore icon, praying that those 40 seconds the login procedure will take successfully validates me as an upright and most honorable EA client. On the other hand I'm quite sure my 12-year old neighbor will have no problem with his copy of Spore he downloaded from eMule last night, nor will he have to wait for the login procedure each time he runs the damn thing. Related: My Old Thread on similar issues.
Advertisement
The 'install three times' thing is terrible. I often uninstall/reinstall games after periods of not playing it.

Does this mean 3 installes on a max of 3 different machines?
I wrote about this in my Gamedev Journal today. I'm not at all pleased Spore's going to be lumped with this kind of thing.

The bit that really bugs me is that this kind of protection is basically sending the message that these companies don't trust their players (hence the need for re-occurring key checks). But we should trust them when it comes to all the potential problems with server crashes, CD key dupes, license renewals and future patches when the server get shut down.
They just won't learn.. oh well better go warm up utorrent for this one!
Quote:Original post by Dave
Does this mean 3 installes on a max of 3 different machines?
Probably not. A lot of the software industry seems to believe that fair use doesn't apply to games and so that you're "not allowed" to install your games on more than one machine.
This is the kind of crap that makes me want to pirate games just so I don't have to install rootkits on my machine. It's funny... I took a security class last semester and one of the first thing they taught us was how you had to draw the line somewhere between ignorance towards possible threats and paranoia. They are way beyond paranoia.

edit: I wouldn't actually crack a game but I probably would attempt what Yann L mentioned below.
Personally, I wouldn't see any ethical issues with buying the game and then cracking it for your own exclusive use. Of course this is still illegal, at least in the US (and probably in a few other jurisdictions as well).

Also, I'm pretty sure that the three times install limitation is illegal under EU consumer protection law.
What a great way to force even legit users into considering piracy.
Sorry but I don't see a problem with this as long as it doesn't give people much problems (see steam) . What I find REALLY amusing to say the least is reading the comments here from people calling or "considering" (assuming they don't do it already) pirating the game because they "feel offended" and don't like this new system of ensuring, or reducing if you want, pirated copies.

So according to some of you, you are in your right to pirate the game because you don't like this kind of DRM protection ? right. It's funny that after all these years people, and even game developers (they should know best), still see software as something different from a car or tv, that you must pay before using it. Maybe it's the untangible nature of software that somehow makes people think they can have it without paying.
You don't have a problem with publishers treating their customers like they were pirates? The security they are setting up won't keep their game from being pirated; all it will do is annoy their legimate users by forcing them to validate their copy constantly.

I don't think you can call modifying your own copy to protect your privacy "piracy" since you legally purchased a copy of the game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement