DirectX10: SV_PrimtiveID always 0, POINT_LIST

Started by
3 comments, last by DieterVW 15 years, 11 months ago
Hi, currenty I'm implementing GPGPU stuff with DX10/C++ under Vista. I organized my algorithms in that way, that I access specific primtive data by using primitive id. For that I wanted to use the new hancy fancy SV_ semantics, especially SV_PrimitiveId. The Problem is, that it is always default 0. My algorithms implement code with scatter operations, so I have to implement it in the vertex shader or geometry shader. My input geometry is a point list of size n. I write my shaders by using NVidias FXComposer to avoid syntax errors and all that typo stuff. I'm using PIX to debug my DX10 code. The first thing I tried was a uint field in the input structure of my geometry shader. The field was taged by SV_PrimitiveId. So first error, FXComposer told me that SV_PrimtiveId can't be in an input structure of a geometry shader. It has to be a single input parameter of the shader. Next I tried this... (in uint id: SV_PRIMITIVEID) no syntax errors so far, but always default 0. My thoughts are... point list is a list of geometric point primitives, so that SV_PrimtiveID has to have the current primitve id. Second the March 2008 DX10 SDK documentation states: Name: SV_PrimitiveID Desc.: Per-primitive identifier Stages: Geometry Shader, Pixel Shader Type: uint Stages: Geometry Shader, seems to be completly nonsene. So does anybody have a tip for this problem. Cheers Maik
Advertisement
As i know, the uint that indicates primitive number it's generated only when you are using geometry instancing.
So you have to call DrawInstanced or DrawIndexedInstanced to use it
Quote:Original post by XVincentX
As i know, the uint that indicates primitive number it's generated only when you are using geometry instancing.
I think you're getting confused with SV_InstanceID [smile]

To the OP, have you considered using SV_VertexID from the VS (passed through if necessary)? For point lists this should be the same value, and maybe (long shot - I can't find anything to confirm or deny) it doesn't set up SV_PrimitiveID for a point list..?

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Hi,

@XVincentX
SV_InstanceID indeed delivers the id of the current instance. This was my first trick. I created a stub point element... a point list with one element. This was then rendered n times with DrawInstanced(1, n, 0, 0). Worked great... but PIX isn't able to debug a pixel which contains a DrawInstanced call.

So to debug my code I had to look for an efficient replacement for this...

@jollyjeffers
I gave SV_VertexID a shot and it didn't worked out. DX10 handles each point with its own Draw internally, according to PIX debug information. Each draw is indexed by an primtive id 1 of n ... n of n. VertexId is always 0 per draw call. For me its clear, a point is a primitive on its own. A vertex id of 0 per point is correct.
Furthermore I don't think that SV_PrimitiveId isn't set for a POINT_LIST =).

Cheers
Maik
I'm sure you've seen this info from the docs:

"For example, SV_PrimitiveID cannot be interpreted by the vertex-shader stage since a vertex can be a member of multiple primitives. As a result, SV_PrimitiveID is only available to the geometry-shader stage, or the pixel-shader stage if the geometry-shader stage is inactive."

I know that you can get the SV_PrimitiveId to work in the pixel shader. If you open up the D3D10 Tutoria03 and modify two things, you can see it working for yourself with point lists.

Tutorial03.fx: Change the pixel shader to what I have below.
float4 colors[3] = {	float4( 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f ),	float4( 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f ),	float4( 1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f )};//// Pixel Shader//float4 PS( float4 Pos : SV_POSITION, uint PrimitiveId : SV_PRIMITIVEID ) : SV_Target{    return colors[PrimitiveId];}

Tutorial03.cpp: Change line 255 to what I have below.
g_pd3dDevice->IASetPrimitiveTopology( D3D10_PRIMITIVE_TOPOLOGY_POINTLIST );

It would be easy to add a simple geometry shader to this sample and see that the primitive id works there too. Hopefully this will help you spot the issue in your code.

-Dieter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement