Is college degree so important?

Started by
25 comments, last by helmi_shariff 15 years, 11 months ago
Hi guys, I have some questions for those who know well and are employed in the game industry.I m a 2nd year student at computer sience in Romania and I ve decided to pursue my dream of working in the computer games industry.My question is this how important is the college degree in the industry because i have 2 choices ..I ve allready applied for a Univ In Uk that has a course in games programming but i have to start from 1 year..or to build my portofolio and try to get in the industry. P.S: I know C/C++,even Pascal a bit but at my univ we re mostly focused on web development php,html(gaming industry is not big or very popular in my country that s why i was thinking of moving in UK) ANy suggestions would be awsome.Thx
Advertisement
I'd say it's pretty important.

If you aren't going to get a formal education (i.e. college), then you'd at least have to be constantly reading text-books to convince your employers that you are self-driven enough to not need one ;)
A computer science degree generally helps focus you and teach you how to think. It is also important for getting your foot in the door so Human Resources won't throw your application away.
http://edropple.com
It's important. When a company gets to choose between someone with proper education and someone without it, I'm pretty sure they'll choose the one with education. It proves that you're capable of what they want you to do.

... but than on the other hand, a good portfolio is worth a lot too.
This is something I posted on IGDA.org recently:

1. For those in need of schooling (in general, those under age 25 or so and who have not yet held a professional job for 4 or more years), the ideal game education would be to have all of the following (achieved in this order):
a. A 4-year bachelor degree from a mainstream college or university;
b. A master's degree in the individual's area of interest;
c. 1 or 2 years of game school.

2. If the ideal education outlined in #1 above is not feasible for you, you should still go for the best education that is feasible for you. You can only play the cards that are dealt to you in this game of life - you just have to play those cards as best you can. The alternative standalone educations are, in decreasing order of desirability (disregarding combinations):
a. A master's degree;
b. A 4-year bachelor degree from a mainstream college or university;
c. A 3-year bachelor degree;
d. A game school degree;
e. A 2-year associates degree;
f. An online degree;
g. A high school diploma;
h. A high-school equivalency certificate.

3. The above recommendation is for your own learning - for the benefit of your own life - not just for the sake of your getting a game job. Your life is far more important than some job.

4. The education recommendations above notwithstanding, to get a game job, it doesn't really matter what degree you have or what school you went to, if you can demonstrate mastery of your specialty through an outstanding portfolio and résumé.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Mythriel
I ve decided to pursue my dream of working in the computer games industry.My question is this how important is the college degree in the industry

Very important.

Around here, we won't even look at your resume unless you have a degree.

But be aware that earning a degree does not guarantee you a job in the industry. It is one piece of evidence that says you can do the job. The same is true about a portfolio: it is a much smaller piece of evidence that says you can do the job.

A portfolio of hobby games does not replace a degree.

A portfolio of BAD hobby games can be worse than having just a degree with no portfolio.

I would generally avoid a "games programming" specialized degree until after you already have a traditional degree. If the games programming is a specialty within the traditional degree that's fine, just be sure to get the traditional degree.

You should also know that a degree, even a degree with a focus on "games programming", will not give you a job in the field. You will still need to actually find a job, which can range from easy to impossible based on your location in the world, who you know, and the contents of your job application.
If you manage to release a couple of SUCCESSFUL and HIGH QUALITY independent games that may be considered a better reflection on your ability. Keeping in mind "Hobo Beat-Up 3" does not really qualify you for a games job.
Quote:Original post by NathanRunge
If you manage to release a couple of SUCCESSFUL and HIGH QUALITY independent games that may be considered a better reflection on your ability. Keeping in mind "Hobo Beat-Up 3" does not really qualify you for a games job.
In a lot of places, that still won't get you past the HR degree filter.
http://edropple.com
This is true. It depends on the studio you're applying to, and the position you're applying for. I still recommend completing a degree, though it does not necessarily have to be a games or programming focused degree. Again, depending on the position.
To be honest, it depends on what your goals in life is. I went to the Navy after getting my diploma, then went to work for the Government. No college at all, and make 50K+ a year. My goals are met, I'm satisfied.

I know some employers who will not hire college graduates because they have no real-life experience. Therefore, a "waste of money" to train for a few years to get productivity out of them. I also know other employers who prefer the "greens" aka straight-out-of-college people, and they have a huge budget for training ...

In reality, once you have a certain amount of experience under your belt, it does not matter if you have a college degree or not. As long as you have the experience required in the field your applying for, you should be ok. I still know of some employers who thumb their nose at veteran programmers for 10+ years with no college experience. Those are the businesses to stay away from.

With all said and done, if you want mundo money, and don't have lots of baggage (spouse+kids), and love spending a lot of time at work. Go for it, get a degree, make your way in life and (maybe) settle down in the far future.

If you value your friends and family time more then having lots of money .. then no, find a job you are satisfied with and settle down ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement