AAARGGH!! OPENGL!!!

Started by
8 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 5 months ago
The headers to OpenGL come with MSVC++ and are located in Include\GL directory. I think you can also download them from www.opengl.org website. Good luck
Advertisement
No, Microsoft are not exactly promoting OpenGL !!

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>
Yeah I found those includes last night.
Thanks for that.

Any good tutorials around?
AND, just how useful is opengl in 2D?

Check out www.opengl.org for all your OpenGL needs, reference materials, tutorials, etc.

I suppose OpenGL could be used for just 2D rendering, but it's really intended for 3D graphics. But OpenGL is merely a tool and using it in different ways is generally a good thing :-) Once you setup an orthographic project, you could use texture-mapping instead of blitting (read as FAST)and you'd have a relatively easy-to-implement 2D engine that's hardware accelerated.

the limitations on teture size can be real annoying though. If it's just 2D I'd go ddraw. DDraw takes advantage of hardware anyway. doesn't it?

------------------
--Orion McClelland

Write more poetry.http://www.Me-Zine.org
if you use GL, though, you can do depth effects simply by adding a z component to different layers, and it will look much better than in true 2d
SGI actually had a press release stating that their workstations were used for the production of SOUTH PARK and in press release fashion went on to say that their computers and OpenGL are the only things that can handle the complex computer rendering of 2D objects in a three-dimensional world.
-the logistical one-http://members.bellatlantic.net/~olsongt
Wow! that's pretty awesome. I'm just doing an
asteroids clone for practice so I'll probably
stick with DirectDraw for now!
I can't for the life of me find any ACTUAL
HEADERS OR SDK's OR ANYTHING FOR OPENGL on
Win32!! It is driving me nuts!!!!
Where are they?
On a side-note: SGI are NOT what they used to be, they are grasping for whatever straws they can find to make their HW stand out from the crowd.

Problem is, it doensn't - Not anymore anyway.

My first opt when leaving the Amiga 4 years ago, was to go for a low-end SGI - But even back then, and despite some very helpful people at SGI who gave me a REALLY good offer, I could get more horsepower + better graphics from a similar priced PC.

Sad but true.

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement