Alcoholic drinks

Started by
31 comments, last by kordova 15 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
So yeah, I've come to learn that my drink is just a freaking whiskey sour.

Lol, I should have realized that but I'd already had one too many Adios Mother****ers that night. :D Yeah, lemon juice and sugar is typically your basic sweet and sour mix, it's really good with Gentleman Jack (which is really smooth), and I hear that Bullet Bourbon is also really good for sours.

Another good drink is a Red Beard, it's a shot of Malibu Coconut Rum and a shot of Captain Morgans Spiced Rum, put in a colins glass with ice, fill with 7up/Sprite/etc, and add a splash of Grenadine, it tastes like candy!
Advertisement
Bailey's + Southern Comfort + Kahlua + Amaretto = yum

I got a version of this recipe from some restaurant, but I think it only had three of the four. I "misremembered" which is how I came to drink the above.
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
Quote:Original post by LessBread
A buddy of mine used to mix Jägermeister and Captain Morgan's into something he called a "Nazi Dreadlock". I didn't find it appealing. Chilled Jägermeister suits me just fine (in moderation).

That sounds good, what did he mix it with? Or was it a shot?
Quote:Original post by ChurchSkiz
A buddy of mine used to mix Jägermeister and Captain Morgan's into something he called a "Nazi Dreadlock". I didn't find it appealing. Chilled Jägermeister suits me just fine (in moderation).

That sounds good, what did he mix it with? Or was it a shot?

He mixed it with a swizzle stick... [grin] I really don't remember. I skipped the rum and went for the Jager straight up, which can lead to short term memory loss... [wow]
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Here's a story about what not to drink: Energy plus alcohol a risky mix.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
I tend to stick to the basics with alcohol, I like my Rum and Cokes. So long as it's spiced rum (contrary to popular belief, Admiral Nelson is better than Captain Morgan. Sailor Jerry is very good also. And don't forget that Pepsi is no substitute).

When I run out of Coke I usually grab the next soda I happen to have, usually Dr. Pepper. Maybe tonight I'll try a Rum and Mt. Dew or a Rum and Code Red. If I do I'll report back :).

I used to hate beer too, then I started drinking local micro-brews. So far, Fort Collins, CO has the best.
A big problem with mixing alcohol with energy drinks is that the energy drinks raise your heart rate, while alcohol lowers your heart rate. So you have two conflicting chemicals, one which is technically a toxin, influencing your heart rate in different ways. That's not good.
I don't do much mixing (which gets the line "Never mix, never worry" in my head, but that's not why I don't usually mix). My current fascination is with Ports. Mostly tawnies, and only cheap ones so far (the best and most expensive I've tried are Warre's 10 year tawny and their Otima 10 year tawny).

When I do mix, it's usually a high ball of some sort. To be a little on topic, I'll say that rum and Dr. Pepper is amazing. It's hardly original, but I don't see it too often, so close enough, right? (My favorites are completely unoriginal: tequila and Cokes, margaritas, and pina coladas.)

Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
Also, I've been looking for a consistent recipe for...

Not that I do much mixing (not that it's the reason, but the line "Never mix, never worry" gets in my head) but this is pretty much why I don't look for recipes. The first two hits on Google for Red Russian give different results:

0.75oz cherry liqueur + 1.5oz vodka, stirred
1oz strawberry liqueur + 1oz vodka + 1oz cream, layered

They don't even agree on the liqueur. And discussing proportions can be a holy war. (Apparently, I mix drinks on the strong side.)

Energy plus alcohol a risky mix.

So, if my understanding is correct, it's not the interaction of the caffeine and the alcohol, but that caffeine makes you feel less drunk (so you feel you can drink more) and keeps you awake (so you have time to drink more).

Does anybody like energy drinks? I've never tried them because all the people I know who drink them say they taste horrible and they only do it for the caffeine.
Quote:Original post by Way Walker
Does anybody like energy drinks? I've never tried them because all the people I know who drink them say they taste horrible and they only do it for the caffeine.

They're not all bad; there are some I even enjoy. Definitely an acquired taste, though, and recently I've only been drinking them for late night programming sessions.

EDIT: Actually, something that I've found to be pretty good is mixing a shot or two of Bacardi 151 with a can of Monster. YMMV.
Quote:Original post by Rixter
I tend to stick to the basics with alcohol, I like my Rum and Cokes. So long as it's spiced rum (contrary to popular belief, Admiral Nelson is better than Captain Morgan. Sailor Jerry is very good also. And don't forget that Pepsi is no substitute).

I don't know rums very well, but I'll say that it seems like everyone thinks Jose Cuervo is the best tequila. I'll admit that I've only tried Cuervo's Gold, but Sauza Gold is better and cheaper. I'll usually go for 1800's Silver, though.

Quote:
I used to hate beer too, then I started drinking local micro-brews. So far, Fort Collins, CO has the best.

I should probably start looking more locally. I've tried Columbus Brewing Company's Pale Ale (which I enjoyed), a couple from Great Lakes (barely drinkable, but also a bit less local), and a dark lager from Elevator Brewing when I was eating at Schmidt's (which I also enjoyed).

My favorite beers so far, which are neither local nor micro, are Sierra Nevada's pale ale and Anchor's steam beer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement