Hey! [Help me sort through my plans]

Started by
15 comments, last by Chrono1081 15 years, 11 months ago
Hi I just joined Westwood College for Game Art & Design. I have been working on plans for a game for about a year now and have 5 books filled with ideas and notes. I need some help with a few things though. 1. I need the city to be 5 miles of map. 2. I need Stores Homes and all buildings to be accessible. 3. I need 20,000 CPU's with their own jobs and daily routine. 4. I need 350 users to be able to play in the same world at 1 time. 5. I need weather changes through time. 6. I need up to 100 different cars. (Some can be the same car with minor changes.) 7. I need movable and destroyable items. (Trash cans, TV's, Sofa's,) I was just wondering if this was at all possible? [Edited by - LessBread on May 29, 2008 2:50:18 AM]
Advertisement
Yes its possible. Its going to take a long time to develop though.
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Quote:Original post by Fellon
I was just wondering if this was at all possible?

As a theoretical exercise, yes. You've not given any requirements as to target hardware, expected performance, or production timetable.
Quote:Original post by Driv3MeFar

As a theoretical exercise, yes. You've not given any requirements as to target hardware, expected performance, or production timetable.

I would like to use something like the Euphoria Engine. (As used in GTA4)
I would like the game to be on the PS3 Console.
Performance must be top notch same goes for graphics and realism.
By the time you reach a level at which you can develop this sort of system we'll have hardware good enough to handle it with ease. So yes, it is.
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...

Consider:
GTA IV had a staff of around 1000 people and cost approximately $100 million to make. Your game sounds much, much larger than GTA IV.

Perhaps if you had around a billion dollars to spend it could be done, but to be honest I don't think what you want to do is even feasible on the PS3.

So, basically, no.
So, basically, no.

Why so negative? All he needs to do is tighten up the graphics on level 3! [grin]

The GTA IV engine was actually RAGE, Euphoria was used for some of the character animations I think.

Quote:

As for the PS3 console... you'll be wanting to have a lot of money, a lot of technical skills, a string of previously published titles and backing from a publisher. Then you can approach Sony and they might give you a devkit and licence to produce PS3 games. This will cost you a lot of money and the money is indeed wasted if you don't have the technical know-how to use the thing to its maximum potential.

Quote:

Please define "performance", do you mean a solid high framerate, no audio skipping, good load times? Graphics I can understand, but you also haven't defined "realism".

As others have said, your game idea is perfectly possible but perhaps a little bit beyond your reach right now. If you carefully plan out your ideas and have everything carefully mapped out in minute technical detail then you'll already be a big step forward. Doing your research into some stuff will also come in handy, you might have not thought of a solution to a particular problem yet.

Don't let this put you off, because I'm sure you could, one day, have the skills to do this providing you put your mind to it. You'll likely be working in a large team with like minded people who will help you out.

Best of luck! [smile]

Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
So, basically, no.

Why so negative? All he needs to do is tighten up the graphics on level 3! [grin]

Hahahahahahhaahha. Rating++
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
Quote:Original post by ukdeveloper

The GTA IV engine was actually RAGE, Euphoria was used for some of the character animations I think.

Quote:

As for the PS3 console... you'll be wanting to have a lot of money, a lot of technical skills, a string of previously published titles and backing from a publisher. Then you can approach Sony and they might give you a devkit and licence to produce PS3 games. This will cost you a lot of money and the money is indeed wasted if you don't have the technical know-how to use the thing to its maximum potential.

Quote:

Please define "performance", do you mean a solid high framerate, no audio skipping, good load times? Graphics I can understand, but you also haven't defined "realism".

As others have said, your game idea is perfectly possible but perhaps a little bit beyond your reach right now. If you carefully plan out your ideas and have everything carefully mapped out in minute technical detail then you'll already be a big step forward. Doing your research into some stuff will also come in handy, you might have not thought of a solution to a particular problem yet.

Don't let this put you off, because I'm sure you could, one day, have the skills to do this providing you put your mind to it. You'll likely be working in a large team with like minded people who will help you out.

Best of luck! [smile]

Thanks for all the feedback. I will have more info once I have minimized and organized my notes and typed them up.
I am a great graphic designer and will be doing all the art myself. As for your questions.
1. Yes high solid framerate. No audio skipping and minimum load times.
2. By realism I mean how the characters move and the city itself (Will explain more in later post.)

I understand it is beyond my reach at the moment. and when I have everything set I will apply for a loan from a bank.
As far as the PS3 goes I guess I could always transfer the game later when it starts to make some cash.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement