Near Future Cold War RTS

Started by
0 comments, last by Edtharan 15 years, 10 months ago
Hello. I have been working on a Game Design Document for my current project, currently code named Frozen Kangaroo (don't ask). Frozen Kangaroo is a slow paced real time strategy game set in the near future. Players control one of two states and their allies' armies in a map of the southern hemisphere. To avoid global nuclear conflict, both super states are using their allies' armies as proxy nations to attack each other, thus avoiding an act of war. The player must balance the needs of the war effort with the attitudes of their allies. If they upset their allies, for example by repeatedly sending their men to death, the allies may start to be unco-operative or worse, join the enemy. To win, the player must defeat the opposition either through diplomacy by converting all their allies to their political ideal, or through war and crush them with armies. The likely result is the player must use a combination of the two strategies. If, however, both sides launch all their nuclear arsenal, the game is a draw, as everyone is dead, for a Pyrrhic victory is worthless. I would really appreciate if someone could have a look through my GDD. Firstly, what do you think of the GDD, have I covered everything I need to cover (I know it is still missing out the tech tree and the software architecture, but if they were there). Also, what do you think of the idea and do you have any suggestions for it. Finally, if anyone can suggest a decent name, that would be much appreciated. I apologise for the occasionally inconsistent formatting, particularly with the tables, there seems to be a bug with Google Docs I would really appreciate someone to have a quick glance through it. I realise that this topic lacks focus, but I will try and make it a one off! Thanks in advance
-thk123botworkstudio.blogspot.com - Shamelessly advertising my new developers blog ^^
Advertisement
It sounds interesting. But have a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_of_Power_(computer_game). It might give you some ideas. Chris Crawford ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Crawford_(game_designer) ) released a book detailing a lot of the ideas and mechanics of how he made the game. Well worth reading.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement