Hmmmm....

Started by
18 comments, last by DevFred 15 years, 10 months ago
Hi everyone... i wasnt sure if this should go in beginners or what i don't think so know that i'm writing this but oh well sorry. Basically the story is that i've taken visual basic(adv. and reg.) and Java(Adv. and Reg.). I am not taking any more programming classes ever( maybe ha we will see when college comes around). Well anyway i do really enjoy making games... my final projects have been as follows: Visual Basic- 2d rubix cube( button interface for movements) Java- 3d rubix cube((netbeans) with lwjgl) - key input ADV. VB- a strategy/board game style football game(choose play...choose impact player..... see ball move.... msgbox telling data.. etc. ADV. JAVA- a "full length" zelda game(greenfoot).... animations for walking and fighting.... health and rupees(coin system)... save and load.. all that jazz.... So now i want to make games on my own nothing big right now... i am decent i suppose at programming although i am still "ignorant" i guess is the word maybe naive..(i.e. "wait what?!?!? why do i need to comment LMAO!!!") lol My girlfriend(serious)... who has no programming experience other then a little website editing stuff (html) and me want to do this together(make games that is) i figure she can handle graphics sound and story etc. while i program( im more of a code monkey myself anyway) i will teach her what i know and she will eventually be able to code some herself and make some serious contributions to the programming side right now im working on making my football strategy game better and making another 2d rubix cube game( both in vb) and i want to make an actual moving 2d football game( aka madden... LMAO kindof) and me and my girlfriend will be working on an interesting title (action/adventure/rpgish) and this will also be done on vb (oh btw its vb 6.0) i am working with python and panda3d right now just to get a handle on 3d graphics because eventually i want to make this game(the last one) 3d... so finally i was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on what i should do to make my experience/knowledge grow... either programming or 3d stuff... i mean what programs languages etc. should i look in to.. sorry for the LONG thread.... thanks for taking the time to read this and i hope to get some helpful suggestions once again thanks everyone
WOW YOU HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS
Advertisement
I recommend learning c++. c++ i think is better for game programming. If you wanna make games, you should also look into a graphics api such as directx or opengl. for 3d modeling, you can find some free ones, or a cheap one is milkshape, but my favorite is 3d studio max. maya is another good 3d modeling software. check out my site if you wanna learn how to program using directx;-)
alright will do... thanks!
i was going to take c++ in school but i didnt know what it was ha i just took visual basic because it sounded simpler(sophmore year) and my school alternates with c++ and java every year so i took java but now they switched to C# but i opted not to take that as i needed some other classes.... kindof regret it now ha
java, from what i hear, i really haven't programmed with it at all, but i guess it's very much like c++, so it'll prob be pretty easy once you check it out. i've never even gone to college and was able to learn c++
i think i have c++... because i have visual studio 6.0 and i only use vb but im pretty sure its on there.... thanks for actually replying lol
Quote:Original post by bkw4ever
i think i have c++... because i have visual studio 6.0 and i only use vb but im pretty sure its on there.... thanks for actually replying lol

Visual Studio 6.0 is ten years out of date. It is not standards compliant. Its up-to-date replacement is a free download. There is no real excuse not to replace it. :)
Quote:Original post by bkw4ever
i think i have c++... because i have visual studio 6.0

That's a whole decade antiquated! These are free and modern.
Visual Studio 6.0 is outdated by now (10 years old), and you should probably upgrade (they have free "express" versions).

If you want to use Java and need an IDE like Visual Studio, you can look for Netbeans or Eclipse.

And from what you tell, you shouldn't learn C++. If I understand you right, you're a hobbyist programmer that wants to develop a game now. Why not stay with Java? There is likely a lot left to learn (did you grasp all of object oriented programming? design patterns?). There is no reason for you right now to start worrying about manual memory management, pointer arithmetics, arcane module handling and other bug-inducing properties of C++ - it won't lead to any games for a long time, and it won't teach you anything you can use in other languages (that you wouldn't learn in Java).
ha i know thanks though... i used to have vb express 2005 but i dont have internet on that pc so that was the main problem i just got 6 to work on an existing project i had alreadsy made in school... i am on this computer with internet for only like a week longer so i am downloading as much crap as i can and dumping it to flash drives, i have so much stuff its unbelievable lol.... but the other problem is.... if i download it and put it on the flash drive will it work when i put it on my other pc or do i need to put the express edition installer onto the flash :/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement