Using Visual Studio to edit files over SAMBA, remote g++ to build?

Started by
3 comments, last by skyfire360 15 years, 10 months ago
Here's my situation: The application I'm building requires a specific version of the linux kernel called RTAI. Compilation of the code requires specifically altered linux header files, and the RTAI kernel is required to run it. Unfortunately, Visual Studio - my development IDE of choice - only works on Windows. I love VS's intellisense, and in combination with Visual Assist X it increases my productivity by orders of magnitude. So here's what I'd like to achieve... I have access to the files on the linux machine via SAMBA, which means I can edit the project in VS on my windows machine. Ideally, I'd like to try a custom build setup that would automatically generate a makefile, ssh into the linux machine and run a script that compiles the program. I'm aware I can create the makefile by hand and ssh/compile it every time I build it, though using VS's built in project management would certainly make life easier. I was wondering if anyone had attempted anything similar or knew if such a custom build step was possible.
I do real things with imaginary numbers
Advertisement
Why not create a bat file (or even an exe) which VS can execute as a single command?

I prefer Visual Studio too, but ave you looked into IDEs for Linux? Kdevelop and Anjuta are decent and provide a Visual Studio like experience.
Quote:Original post by godecho
Why not create a bat file (or even an exe) which VS can execute as a single command?

I prefer Visual Studio too, but ave you looked into IDEs for Linux? Kdevelop and Anjuta are decent and provide a Visual Studio like experience.

Ideally I'd like to use visual studio's built-in commands to compile. That, and there's nothing even remotely close to VAX out there. Kdevelop may have "code completion", but it's slow, clunky and not nearly as helpful or unobtrusive as Visual Studio's (as of KDevelop 3.4).

Looks like what I'm kinda looking for is Visual Studio's Makefile project. Example. I'll have to take care of project management and makefile creation manually.

It's sad that you can't use VS to remotely debug Linux apps...
I would also be interested in this, albeit for slightly different reasons. Is there a way to ssh and compile as a single step on the command line? Perhaps with a Cygwin Bash script? That could then be used as the build command for MSVC.

I should also mention that if you can do that much, then the output of gcc will need to be piped through sed so that you can click on the error messages in the MSVC output window and actually jump to the file and line in question. (consider it a protip)
Quote:Original post by Foxostro
I would also be interested in this, albeit for slightly different reasons. Is there a way to ssh and compile as a single step on the command line? Perhaps with a Cygwin Bash script? That could then be used as the build command for MSVC.

I should also mention that if you can do that much, then the output of gcc will need to be piped through sed so that you can click on the error messages in the MSVC output window and actually jump to the file and line in question. (consider it a protip)

Looks like using a Makefile project allows you to specify a build command. Like in the example link I gave, you can set your build command to c:\plink sauce@myps2 -1 -i c:\ps2key.ppk "cd ~/myproject;make". That should, using plink, ssh in, use a public key, and execute the command "cd [your_proj_dir];make" on the remote machine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement