• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
booom

[java] Online 2D RPG Game With Java

This topic is 3751 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was thinking it would be cool to make a online rpg game and then I was thinking what programming languge would I do it in, so I thought Java would be good. But I dont no how to programe in Java and not realy in other programming languges so thought I might give this languge a go. So if any body no any good websites to start to learn the languge it would be a lot of help for me. So my question is it a good languge to learn to make online games or any type of game. I dont mind if you tell me a differnt one that would be good to use. Thanks

Advertisement
Java is perfect for a 2D RPG game, you could start learning here

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/index.html

but i hope you understand it is going to take a long time for you to be able to actually achieve your goal of an online 2D RPG, its completely possible and all of that, but it will take you a long time to make, let alone learn the language well enough to make it.

The official Java tutorial
Killer Game Programming in Java
Some other tutorials

As for whether or not you should use Java, that is up to you to decide. I like to use Java, but that's only my opinion [smile]. Java is perfectly valid language with which to make games (Runescape is a good example), but many other languages are also very good. C++ is used most often in games (most big titles are written in c++). C# is gaining ground (XNA, a game library written in c#, is very easy to use). Other languages are also good, but I'm not going to go through all of them or my post will take up several pages [smile].

Greggles

Thank you for your help both of you.
Thanks
Quote:
Original post by Swattkidd
Java is perfect for a 2D RPG game, you could start learning here

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/index.html

but i hope you understand it is going to take a long time for you to be able to actually achieve your goal of an online 2D RPG, its completely possible and all of that, but it will take you a long time to make, let alone learn the language well enough to make it.

Yes I do no it will take a very long time to actually achieve my goal to make the game, before I even start a online game I will do some little things. It will take a long time to actually learn the languge I no that. I am thinking of maby getting some books to.
Thank you again for your help.

You could take a shortcut and get something like Blitz3D or DarkBasic. But then you would be focusing on easy visuals rather than getting a good programming foundation, which in the long run is more important than anything.

Java is quite an easy language to deal with once you understand the basic programming concepts. It doesn't tie you down with unnecessary details like C and C++ can. However, it's still a good idea to learn C, perhaps in parallel with Java, then dabble in some C++ if you're really hardcore.

If you would like to explore C, head over to www.allegro.cc for a nice 2D game library for C. You could also buy a C book (someone please recommend one) or browse the extensive references online.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!