Photon Mapping

Started by
0 comments, last by luca-deltodesco 15 years, 10 months ago
So I'm trying to implement photon mapping in my ray tracer. I think I've got the basic algorithm down, but I'm missing a few details. Does anyone have links to a good resource with some examples of both the photon shooting and irradiance estimate steps? I'm sure I'm missing some details, and I can't find any really good examples for the tracing step. For instance, when a photon strikes a surface (I'm using Russian Roulette for the tracing step), how do I calculate the color and flux of the stored photon? Then, if the photon is reflected, how do I alter this color and flux (do I even alter the flux of the reflected photon)? Then, in the irradiance estimate stage, when I use the kernel estimator to estimate the density, how to I account for all of the photons within a given radius? Are all photons added equally as long as their incoming direction is above the target surface, or do I scale a photon's contribution by the cosine falloff term? Finally, how do I combine photon mapping for diffuse inter-reflectance with normal whitted style integration for direct illumination estimation? Thanks, Rob
Advertisement
for the last part of your post in combining the results of photon mapping with the usual direct lighting calculations; what i do for this, is that i simply do not store primary photons (By that i mean photons that have been directly emmited from light source without any interaction, no bouncing, reflection, transmission etc). That way the photon map only stores information on indirect lighting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement